Papé Satàn aleppe

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
obnoxion

Papé Satàn aleppe

Post by obnoxion »

I was reading The Grimorium Verum (edited and translated by Joseph H. Peterson), and started to study an operation "For the Discovery of a Treasure". There is one spell that goes as follows:

Pape Satan Aleppe, Father, Son and Spirit.
Now the first three words are for the Seventh Canto of Dante's Inferno, and are uttered by Pluto:

"Pape Satan, Pape Satan, Aleppe!"
Thus Plutus with his clucking voice began...

I understand that the meaning of these word has puzzled experts, and their meaning is still unclear, though they are often considered to be a sort of summoning for Satan.

Here's the wikipedia summary of the topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pap%C3%A9_ ... A0n_aleppe

Perhaps some of you has a theory...?
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Azoth

Re: Papé Satàn aleppe

Post by Azoth »

No-one seems to have come up with a satisfactory explanation of that line from Inferno, but I think the gist in general is that the Fourth Circle is that of greed and avarice and Pluto/Plutus's first statement would seem to be a tribute to Satan as the principle at the heart of that sin. Plutus, who represents worldly wealth, says something like 'great Satan, great Satan, thou art foremost', with 'Aleppe' being thought to represent Aleph or Alpha, the primary letter or principle. Dante then completely deflates Plutus, showing the transience and hollow nature of such power.
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph - Robert E. Howard, Beyond the Black River.
obnoxion

Re: Papé Satàn aleppe

Post by obnoxion »

Azoth wrote: ...I think the gist in general is that the Fourth Circle is that of greed and avarice and Pluto/Plutus's first statement would seem to be a tribute to Satan as the principle at the heart of that sin...
This explanation fits nicely with the way it is used in The Grimorium Verum, in the operation for finding of hidden treasures. Thank you!
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.