Rosicrucian Emblems & Spiritual Practice

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
obnoxion

Rosicrucian Emblems & Spiritual Practice

Post by obnoxion »

There is one splendid symbol among the Rosicrucian Emblems of Daniel Cramer, that might under meditation reveal subtle meanings of the doctrine of the joining of the hands, that is, the unification of the left hand path and the right hand path (of which, by the way, there is a fine example in the Kaula Cult). This sadhana, however, is both western and Christian. And more than that, it is beautiful piece of protestant esoterism, which is a rare thing indeed.

These Rosicrucian Emblems are ways to focus on the Heart Center, and i would like to focus now on the Emblem number 36. Its theme is Sapientia Simplex, or 'Simple Wisdom'. The symbol has a wooden cross in its center. The cross is nailed together at the center with five nails (four at the corners, one in the middle). There is a serpent rising up the cross, and a dove sitting at the top. On the left hand of the cross there is an Eye, and on the right hand there is a Heart. Behind the cross we can see a castle at the left, and a chapel at the right.

The biblical verse connected to the symbol is: "Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves" (Matthew 10:16). There is also an instruction: "He whose heart is saved by simplicity, whose eye by wisdom, will be both serpent and dove to God".

For those who tend to profit from this sort of concrete aid to spiritual practice, i would recommend the study of these Rosicrucian Emblems. They have been published with introduction and commentary by Adam McLean.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Re: Rosicrucian Emblems & Spiritual Practice

Post by Nefastos »

Some notes on the side:
obnoxion wrote:For those who tend to profit from this sort of concrete aid to spiritual practice, i would recommend the study of these Rosicrucian Emblems. They have been published with introduction and commentary by Adam McLean.

Adam McLean has really done a great amount of impressive work. Just yesterday I came across an older version of his Treatise on Angel Magic (ed.) in a nearby used-book store. Sadly I had it as a paperback already, so there wasn't enough justification to use all of my money in that :)

obnoxion wrote:the Kaula Cult

It's a funny thing that Kaula literally means Neck in Finnish. Especially when we think about the symbolism of the said part of the body in Indian mythology of Shiva Nilakantha, European mythology of the beheaded John the Baptist, and the Vishuddha chakra-point symbolism. The throat/neck being the "bridge" of the bodily cosmos and the one within head.

obnoxion wrote:These Rosicrucian Emblems are ways to focus on the Heart Center, and i would like to focus now on the Emblem number 36.

A number which seems to be connected to the mysteries of Satan. 36 is a square of six, which is the cross without center point counted in, thus a Satanic image; it is 2 x 18 of both Sorath (6+6+6), Man and the Moon; 3 + 6 make up the number of the Saturnian Cenobite in Tarot... and so forth. So it's not wonder that the Serpent is starring this part. Serpent is to Fish what the Rock is to Bread.

obnoxion wrote:There is a serpent rising up the cross, and a dove sitting at the top. On the left hand of the cross there is an Eye, and on the right hand there is a Heart. Behind the cross we can see a castle at the left, and a chapel at the right.

Eye & heart and easy enough, as are the serpent & the dove. But what are the buildings? Material castle & spiritual chapel? Fortified castle & vulnerable chapel? Castle as a royal palace, chapel as a place of poverty? ...along these lines perchance?

And let's remember that the castle of the Grail was said to be of a cubic shape (again, square of six and then to 6-36-216). It was both the castle and the chapel, because the Cup as the central point added 1 (Unity) and made 6 to 7.

obnoxion wrote:The biblical verse connected to the symbol is: "Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves" (Matthew 10:16).

One of my favourite biblical quotes. Whatever the context, this keeps popping to my head. It's a great advice. And to these easy-enough seeing "wisdom" and "harmlessness" many deeper connotations belong, with the use of these certain animal images.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"