Quotations relevant to the Path

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
obnoxion

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Post by obnoxion »

Insanus wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:54 pm
obnoxion wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:37 am Spirituality and sexuality are not your qualities.
They are not things which you can possess and
comprehend. On the contrary, these are mighty demons,
manifestations of the gods and therefore they tower
above you and they exist in themselves. One does not
possess spirituality for oneself and sexuality for
oneself. Rather, one is subject to the laws of
spirituality ans sexuality. Therefore, no one escapes
these two demons. They ate common causes and grave
dangers, and above all like the terrible Abraxas.

- C. G. Jung: "The Seven Sermons to the Dead"
Is the last line really "ate" or is that a divinely inspired typo? It works both ways ate/are.
Originally it was "are", but "ate" is obviously the esoteric spelling. So I'm not gonna edit it away. It really hits home the terror of Abraxas, the devourer of common causes and grave dangers.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Der Magier

"Er ruft es an. Er schrickt zusamm und steht.
Was steht? Das andre; alles, was nicht er ist,
wird Wesen. Und das ganze Wesen dreht
ein raschgemachtes Antlitz her, das mehr ist.

O Magier, halt aus, halt aus, halt aus!
Schaff Gleichgewicht. Steh ruhig auf der Wage,
damit sie einerseits dich und das Haus
und drüben jenes Angewachsne trage.

Entscheidung fällt. Die Bindung stellt sich her.
Er weiß, der Anruf überwog das Weigern.
Doch sein Gesicht, wie mit gedeckten Zeigern,
hat Mitternacht. Gebunden ist auch er."

===

The Magician

"He calls to it. It twitches, jumps, and stands.
What stands? The other, all that is not he,
materializes. And it turns to him
a face that's more, assembled instantly.

Magician, O hold out, hold out, hold out!
Create an equilibrium. Keep still
the scales that here will bear you and your house,
there, the accreted otherness. Until

decision comes. The fusion has been found.
He knows, conjuring has outweighed denial.
And yet his features, like a covered dial
make the time midnight. Even he is bound."

– Rainer Maria Rilke (1924). Translation Michael Hamburger.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Cancer

Post by Cancer »

Poetry is the anxiety of influence, is misprision, is a disciplined perverseness. Poetry is misunderstanding, misinterpretation, misalliance.

Poetry (Romance) is Family Romance. Poetry is the enchantment of incest, disciplined by resistance to that enchantment.

- Harold Bloom, The Anxiety of Influence, 1973
Tiden läker inga sår.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

There can be no doubt that the original Christian conception of the imago Dei embodied in Christ meant all-embracing totality that even includes the animal side of man. But nevertheless the Christ symbol lacks wholeness in the modern psychological sense for it does not include the dark side but splits this off as Lucifer, Christ's opponent from the beginning.

C. G. Jung
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

The reason why the hairs stand on end, the eyes water, the throat is constricted, the skin crawls and shiver runs down the spine when one writes or reads a true poem is that a true poem is necessarily an invocation of the White Goddess, or Muse, the Mother of all Living, the ancient power of fright and lust - the female spider or the queen-bee whose embrace is death.

- This quote is from Robert Grave's book "The White Goddess", but I re-stumbled upon this credo-like pragraph in Susan L. Aberth's book "Leonora Carrington - Surrealism, Alchemy and Art" (Lund Humphries, reprint 2018, page 79). On the opposite page is a picture of Carrington's oil painting "The Giantess", which pairs beautifully with Robert Grave's words. The literal sense of the term invocation inspires awe in sight of this towering blonde Titan.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

"He dreamed he was standing in the presence of a sublime hieratic figure called the "white magician," who was nevertheless clothed in a long black robe. This magician had just ended a lengthy discourse with the words "And for that we require the help of the black magician." Then the door suddenly opened and another old man came in, the "black magician," who however was dressed in a white robe. He too looked noble and sublime. The black magician evidently wanted to speak with the white, but hesitated to do so in the presence of the dreamer. At that the white magician, pointing to the dreamer, said, "Speak, he is an innocent." So the black magician began to relate a strange story of how he had found the lost keys of Paradise and did not know how to use them..."

– C.G. Jung: The Phenomenology of the Spirit in Fairytales
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

"If we were to do away with the various religions, we would find ourselves united and enjoying one great faith and religion, abounding in brotherhood."
Read this morning from my copy of A Third Treasury of Kahlil Gibran.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

"God is dead,' Nick said. "They found his carcass in 2019. Floating in space near Alpha.'

"Our Friends From Frolix 8" Philip K. Dick
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Let us forget the earthly noise.
Come to me without wrath,
Mysterious Sunset Maiden,
And we will unite tomorrow and yesterday with fire.

- from a poem by Alexander Blok (trans. Boris Jakim) -
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

"Later, at some other date, we shall embrace, but meanwhile, let us be cold and restrained, like two gentlemen in misfortune. I cannot say that my respect for you has grown to any extent, although your life and your fate have become my life and my fate: let the facts suffice that I have voluntarily placed my neck beneath the yoke and that one and the same whip are furrowing our backs. (...) But however hideous our life may be, it is still more miserable. Do you agree with that? I do not love you yet, oh man, but on these nights I have been more than once on the verge of tears when I thought of your suffering, of your tortured body, and of your soul, relinquised to eternal crucifixion."
– Leonid Andreyev: The Diary of Satan (April 2, Rome)