Quotations relevant to the Path

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
User avatar
Mimesis
Frater
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Postby Mimesis » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:27 am

Red Bird wrote:
Omoksha wrote:Vigor by way of precision. Precision can also be poetry.....Many animals have an exquisite sensitivity that we don’t work hard enough to understand....It’s as if our own sensitivity were split in half: our joy and our pain both extended.

- Robert Bresson

A very meaningful quotation indeed.
I wonder if your profile picture has anything to do with why you chose it. Because when it comes to the sensitivity of animals the horse would be a perfect example.
It absolutely relates and applies to the adoration and reverence I hold - in particularly - for horses, but is not in this instance the direct reason.

I think that in many respects, the essence of how Robert Bresson wrote can be summed up within all that can be taken from this one quote. The sensitivity he refers to here is absolutely present in his writing, and although here he separates it from humanity, his writing takes the human experience back to that which we have lost by way of our denial of nature, and reconnects us to this sensitivity that he speaks of animals having.

What one can take from the way he wrote and filmed is equal, if not more from what one can take from his writing and films themselves.
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
User avatar
Cerastes
Soror
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 10:31 pm

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Postby Cerastes » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:53 pm

Omoksha wrote:
Red Bird wrote:
Omoksha wrote:Vigor by way of precision. Precision can also be poetry.....Many animals have an exquisite sensitivity that we don’t work hard enough to understand....It’s as if our own sensitivity were split in half: our joy and our pain both extended.

- Robert Bresson

A very meaningful quotation indeed.
I wonder if your profile picture has anything to do with why you chose it. Because when it comes to the sensitivity of animals the horse would be a perfect example.
It absolutely relates and applies to the adoration and reverence I hold - in particularly - for horses, but is not in this instance the direct reason.

I think that in many respects, the essence of how Robert Bresson wrote can be summed up within all that can be taken from this one quote. The sensitivity he refers to here is absolutely present in his writing, and although here he separates it from humanity, his writing takes the human experience back to that which we have lost by way of our denial of nature, and reconnects us to this sensitivity that he speaks of animals having.

What one can take from the way he wrote and filmed is equal, if not more from what one can take from his writing and films themselves.
Another horse person :)
When I started to go deeper into occultism the first thing that radically changed was the way horses react me. Suddenly there was a connection with that beautiful, strong and elegant animal and it was no longer about sport or winning prices. Especially the high sensitive horses are fascinating, they are able to sense the slightest change of energy in people or nature.

It is a kind of sensitivity that is not appreciated or even noticed anymore. Neither in horses nor in people. A sensitive horse is just disobedient and a human with a similar kind of sensitivity is insane or stupid and irrational. Still the connection is there and it affects us, even if we don’t want to see it anymore. Sadly it remains a blind spot for it has almost no material outcome.

I admit that I haven’t read much of Robert Bresson so far. Maybe I should change that.
“Granny Weatherwax was not lost. She wasn't the kind of person who ever became lost. It was just that, at the moment, while she knew exactly where SHE was, she didn't know the position of anywhere else.”
(Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)
obnoxion
Sodalis
Posts: 1774
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Postby obnoxion » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:35 am

The more materialistic science becomes, the more angels shall I paint.

- Edward Burn-Jones-
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
User avatar
Mimesis
Frater
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Postby Mimesis » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:02 am

Red Bird wrote: Another horse person :)
When I started to go deeper into occultism the first thing that radically changed was the way horses react me. Suddenly there was a connection with that beautiful, strong and elegant animal and it was no longer about sport or winning prices. Especially the high sensitive horses are fascinating, they are able to sense the slightest change of energy in people or nature.

It is a kind of sensitivity that is not appreciated or even noticed anymore. Neither in horses nor in people. A sensitive horse is just disobedient and a human with a similar kind of sensitivity is insane or stupid and irrational. Still the connection is there and it affects us, even if we don’t want to see it anymore. Sadly it remains a blind spot for it has almost no material outcome.
This is interesting. There is, within the thread regarding 'Symbolism' on this forum, a topic relating to animals which this would be interesting and relevant to. I, and others, have also spoken there of horses and the relationships with them therein.

Red Bird wrote: I admit that I haven’t read much of Robert Bresson so far. Maybe I should change that.
I would perhaps recommend watching some of his work first - he was a film maker - before reading what he wrote and said about his work. That way, the meaning, sensitivity and very impacting way with which he filmed presents itself more demandingly, and might encourage a more personal and subjective experience of them.

Once one has read his own intentions behind his process, I guess it is natural to look for it, above what ones own experience may naturally be. But watching his work having read more of him and his process is equally fulfilling. He was a very interesting writer and director.
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
User avatar
Mimesis
Frater
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Postby Mimesis » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:10 am

"There are unknown forces in nature; when we give ourselves wholly to her, without reserve, she lends them to us; she shows us these forms, which our watching eyes do not see, which our intelligence does not understand or suspect."

- Auguste Rodin
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
User avatar
Cancer
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:45 pm
Location: Helsinki

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Postby Cancer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:38 pm

...the concept of God, once separated from the transcendental realism of rational theology, does not in any way conflict with the claims of natural science or obstruct the pursuit of empirical knowledge. In fact, to the extent that it impinges on science at all, it does so positively, on account of the beneficent regulative implications of the conception of the world as a divine artefact. It is moreover, Kant shows, as much of an expression of reason as science itself; science depends on the regulative employment of reason, so to appeal to science in support of atheism would be to cut science off from its own intellectual source.

- Sebastian Gardner, Kant and the Critique of Pure Reason
Tiden läker inga sår.
User avatar
Nefastos
Frater
Posts: 3438
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 10:05 am
Location: Helsinki

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Postby Nefastos » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:46 pm

"When that period of preparation for the dawning intellectual culture came to a close, twelve important personalities met somewhere in Europe [...] Each of the wise men lived in full awareness of his spiritual task. According to Rudolf Steiner all of them were "knowledgeable, quiet, harmonious spirits," who were imbued with Christianity, although they rejected its ecclesiestical manifestation, a fact that was known to those around them. "They were permeated with the greatness of Christianity, but to the outside world they seemed to be its enemies.""

– Peter Selg: Rudolf Steiner and Christian Rosenkreutz, p.32

Seems like a good day to post this, since we have both Blasphemy Day and – in Finland – Michaelmas in the same day. The latter was an especially important day to Steiner.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
obnoxion
Sodalis
Posts: 1774
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Postby obnoxion » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Siddhi is the acquisition of ananda by parivrtti.

- Abhinavagupta-

(From Harsha V. Dehejia: "Parvatidarpana - An Exposition of Kasmir Saivism through the images of Siva and Parvati". I would highly recommend this, and Deheija's other book on the same theme, "The Advaita of Art", to anyone who has made Art the focus of their Spiritual Practice)
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
User avatar
Heith
Sodalis
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Postby Heith » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:32 pm

It is by the straight line and the circle that the first and most simple example and representation of all things may be demonstrated, whether such things be either non-existent or merely hidden under Nature's veils.

- Monas Hieroglyphica, Dr. John Dee.
obnoxion
Sodalis
Posts: 1774
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Postby obnoxion » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:45 pm

"God weeps."

- Pope Francis -
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest