Quotations relevant to the Path

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Smaragd

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Post by Smaragd »

obnoxion wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:22 am
Polyhymnia wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:11 am An excerpt from Ode to the West Wind by Percy Bysshe Shelley
"Make me thy lyre, even as the forest is:
What if my leaves are falling like its own!
The tumult of thy mighty harmonies

Will take from both a deep, autumnal tone,
Sweet though in sadness. Be thou, Spirit fierce,
My spirit! Be thou me, impetuous one!

Drive my dead thoughts over the universe
Like wither'd leaves to quicken a new birth!
And, by the incantation of this verse,

Scatter, as from an unextinguish'd hearth
Ashes and sparks, my words among mankind!
Be through my lips to unawaken'd earth

The trumpet of a prophecy! O Wind,
If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"
I have for long felt that the perfect idea of manifest Satan (as I see Satan) is the wind in the trees. And as I remember Kathryn Lindskoog’s reconideration of the Zephyr as Satan in Botticelli's painting Primavera (discussed in our topic on LHP in art)... Well, Shelley's verses take for me a true form of a religious hymn that make my spine shiver in most concrete ways.
It was just last night when I thought of naming a painting partly after the North Wind, having Zephyr as Satan in the forementioned painting in mind. I've had this idea of the wind in the trees as a manifestation of Satan repeatedly in mind after reading the LHP art topic and it has been very powerful and beautiful thing to observe. I have a special connection to a tree under which the Autumn storms are spectacularly jovian!
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Smaragd wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:22 pm It was just last night when I thought of naming a painting partly after the North Wind, having Zephyr as Satan in the forementioned painting in mind.
I would love to see some of your work some day!

Here is something uplifting for the new decade:

Giving help to everyone,
showing kindness to all,
is called the highest worship
of the Lord of eight forms.

— Linga Purana 2.13.35-36
Transl: Stella Kramrisch
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

obnoxion wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:14 pm She is older than the rocks among which she sits; like the vampire, she has been dead many times.

- Walter Pater (1839–1894) commenting on Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa -
I recently posted on Leonardo da Vinci's painting. I cannot help but to post again on da Vinci's art. This time the quote is on my absolute favourite of all da Vinci's work:

"The Madonna of the Rocks is not a picture. It is a window. We look through a window into the world of pure over-mind"

- The Poetess H.D. in her book "Notes on Thought and Vision & The Wise Sappho" (City Lights Books, 1982; page 18) -
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

"An intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, a wise one almost nothing."

- Goethe
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

As a confirmed madman this touches me on many levels. There is madness and then there is madness.

"A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, "You are mad; you are not like us." - St. Anthony the Great
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Boreas wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:29 pm As a confirmed madman this touches me on many levels. There is madness and then there is madness.

"A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, "You are mad; you are not like us." - St. Anthony the Great
Madness can come in to the picture on many different levels I guess. Sometimes when I try to express something heartfelt, but struggle with it somehow, then a week goes by and I come back to it seeing it as ramblings of a madman that even I don't catch the idea of. Thus it makes a seeming facet of "madness", but is really a poorly executed try on expressing something that is not yet fully brought to consciousness. In other cases the expression can sort of suck one inside it's vortex. This I've personally felt when in some dire need to underline idealism to the extreme, causing it to become harming, and thus the idealism has in some way been broken and distanced from the idealism of love - of uniting work - creating separation in myself, which I think is the actual madness which deepens the more separation and hidden or openly fearful enforcements to the separations are created. "You are mad; you are not like us" surely is an expression of madness. This is why I think it's really healthy to identify as a humanbeing going through the same human experience just as the neighbours elderly people, and families are going. I might try to be more actively conscious of it all, but overall I'm no different even from those who might be saying I'm mad.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Boreas wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:29 pm As a confirmed madman this touches me on many levels. There is madness and then there is madness.

Madness is a sane reaction to the insane environment. (Though this approach has its pitfalls, it has a grain of truth in it.)

"Look down at me and you see a fool, look up at me and you see a god, look straight at me and you see yourself." (Charles Manson)
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

"The more man progresses on the Way, the more his feeling of being a stranger is intensified. Soon he will become boring: later still he will become unbearable, and finally, odious. That is why ‘the prophet is despised in his country, among his close relations and in his own house.’ That indication is precise and leaves no room for doubt. He who wants to start esoteric studies is invited to think it over twice, and weigh it all, before he rushes to cross the moat-threshold. We repeat that it will not be possible for him to return to exterior life and to find his place, his pleasures and his satisfaction there as in the past."

- Boris Mouravieff
Mars

Post by Mars »

"It is not the object of this brief paper to attempt to define magic, or elucidate occult Science as such, but rather to suggest a few considerations which are of vital import at the present time, equally important to those who utterly deny to magic any more than an imaginative basis, as to those who convinced of its existence as a science, are, or are to become investigators. In both the publications and conversations of the day, frequently occur the expressions "black magic," and "white magic," and those who follow these studies are designated as followers of the "left hand path," or the "right hand path." It ought to be understood that up to a certain point all students of magic, or occultism, journey together. By and by is reached a place where two roads meet, or where the common path divides, and the awful voice from the silence, heard only in the recesses of the individual soul utters the stern command: "Choose ye this day whom ye will serve." Instead of black and white magic, read, black and white motive."

- William Q. Judge in his article Considerations On Magic
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I have used every magic power without any of it evading me, because I am truly an artist

- Irtisen -

The names and words of the ancient Egyptian artisans were almost never preserved. These words of Irtisen (11th Dynasty Middle Kingdom) are among the few exceptions. After having realized how behind almost every masterpiece of art there is a spiritual realizationn or quite often sheer magical experimentation... Well, Irtisen's words ring timeless and true; something to be embraced if one truly aspires to be an artist.