Quotations relevant to the Path

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Benemal

Re: Quotations relevant to the Path

Post by Benemal »

Evil:When I have the map, I will be free, and the world will be different, because I have understanding.
Robert:Uh, understanding of what, Master?
Evil:Digital watches. And soon I shall have understanding of video cassette recorders and car telephones. And when I have understanding of them, I shall have understanding of computers. And when I have understanding of computers, I shall be the Supreme Being!

Time Bandits (1981) by Terry Gilliam
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

“My heart, thus knowing, thus seeing, was released from the fermentation of sensuality, released from the fermentation of becoming, released from the fermentation of ignorance. With release, there was the knowledge, 'Released.' I discerned that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'” – All traditions agree that as the morning star rose in the sky in the early morning, the third watch of the night, Siddhartha finally found the answers he sought and became Enlightened, and experienced Nirvana. Having done so, Siddhartha now became a Buddha or "Awakened One".

Wikipedia: Bodhi Day
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

-Albus Dumbledore (J.K Rowling: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone)
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

“Sir, the first quality of an honest man is contempt for religion, which would have us afraid of the most natural thing in the world, which is death; and would have us hate the one beautiful thing destiny has given us, which is life. We should rather aspire to a heaven where only the planets live in eternal bliss, receiving neither rewards nor condemnations, but enjoying merely their own eternal motion in the arms of the void. By strong like the sages of ancient Greece and look at death with steady eye and no fear. Jesus sweated too much, awaiting it. Why should he have been afraid, for that matter, since he was going to rise again?”

- Saint-Savin in Umberto Eco’s The Island of the Day Before.

“Sum gewealden-mod þafað in geþylde þæt he þonne sceal (One, self-controlled, suffereth in patience whatsoever he must).”

- From ‘The Endowments/Fortunes/Gifts of Man’ collected sometime in the tenth century in The Exeter Book, 70-71.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Reason has been given to all men, but all do not know how to make use of it: it is a science to be acquired. Liberty is offered to all, but not all can be free: it is a right that must be earned. Force is for all, but all do not know how to rest upon it: it is a power that must be won. We attain nothing without more than one effort. The destiny of man is to be enriched by his own earning and afterwards to have, like God, the glory and pleasure of dispensing it.
Eliphas Levi; Transcendental Magic, its Doctrine and Ritual
To pardon is never a crime, but to curse is always a danger and an evil action.
Eliphas Levi; Transcendental Magic, its Doctrine and Ritual
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

"For in the abyss was infinite darkness, water and fine intelligent spirit." – Corpus Hermeticum, 3:1
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

"The individual soul is devotedly attached to that ajâ (the unborn Prakriti) of red, white and black colour – the ajâ is single, though the mother of many." – Linga Purâna, 3:13-14
Nayana

Post by Nayana »

"The Life of Spirit is not the Life that drinks from Death and keeps itself untouched by devastation, but rather the Life that endures it and maintains itself in it. It wins its truth only when, in utter dismemberment, it finds itself." - Hegel
From Fire we create life.
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

Two birds, fast-bound companions,
find the same tree for their perch.
The one eats sweet berry;
the other just looks on, not eating.

Rig Veda I: 1:164:20.

The masters say God is a being, an intellectual being that knows all things. But we say God is not a being and not intellectual and does not know this or that. Thus God is free of all things, and so He is all things. To be poor in spirit, a man must be poor of all his own knowledge: not knowing any thing, not God, nor creature nor himself. For this it is needful that a man should desire to know and understand nothing of the works of God. In this way a man can be poor of his own knowledge.

Meister Eckhart, Sermon 87.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

"After practising on the left side, practise on the right side. When the number of rounds is even, discontinue and release the mudra."

– Hatha Yoga Pradipika, 3:15