Sensory Deprivation

Astral and paranormal experiences, dreams and visions.
Jiva

Sensory Deprivation

Post by Jiva »

I got round to watching the film Altered States where a guy basically tries to use a floatation tank to help him regress to a primordial state in an attempt to know god. It got me thinking about whether anyone here has an experience with floatation tanks or anything similar?

There are quite a few places within travelling distance of me that are cheap so I'm seriously thinking of giving it a try for a variety of reasons. Often when I meditate I loose track of exactly where I am or what position I'm sitting in which I find an interesting experience. I'm also kind of obsessed with Avicenna's Floating Man thought experiment and end up thinking about it most days.

On a simpler level, it'd also be nice to just float; I'm one of those people who sinks instantly unless I actively swim :P.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Heith

Re: Sensory Deprivation

Post by Heith »

I say go for it and then let me know how it was! I have never tried this myself but have thought it a interesting idea. A friend of mine keeps ranting on about this sort of stuff- though I don't think she tried it either. Yet. :lol:
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

I have been dreaming about deprivation tank for years, but have no experience using. I think I would eventually be living in that tank.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

When I get round to it I'll post results :). I realised though that I have to save for my trip to Finland, and as I'm going to two gigs in London next month that I'm definitely not going to miss I won't have enough money to fit this in. Upon my return to the UK though...
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

If you'd come in winter, brother, it would already have been kind of a sensory deprivation...
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"