Allegories

Symbols and allegories.
Soror O

Allegories

Post by Soror O »

Life on Earth is a cornucopia of allegories, aie? To me, allegories are fingerprints of the Spirit, leading to (sacred) order. There is no meaninless detail in the world, rather the mundane world speaks in sacred lanquage - yet to let associations run without any proportion turns one into a madman.
This thread is about allegories.

I composed my first piano piece a couple of days ago. I cannot really play the piano, but the notes just emerged from somewhere. I always kind of hated my compositions, but I've fell in love with this piece. I realized that playing piano is an allegory of bringing together of the hands and praying. Playing has now felt like praying. With my piano sessions I have gained a new insight into proportion and relations between emotion and stillness. I have observed how subtle thing a balance is. Every single note, every single stream in my being has to be balanced properly, relating to the whole (to the whole piece of music, to the whole human being) and to the Whole.

Mistakes are holy. Mistakes point the way to growth. My CP left hand is holy. I have felt like there are separate beings residing in my left and my right hemisphere. As I play, they grow closer into each other.

Also, I communicate with my father via the piano (I bet you didn't see this one coming). The instrument was his, but know I've claimed it. I always found playing the piano so troublesome, when I tried to play piano accompaniments from the sheets. Now I realized that I don't have to play already existing music, I can make my own. It's so much more fulfilling.

For some reason, the brotherhood has been on my mind while playing. In my mind, I have named the piece after the brotherhood. But really, this music has no name. Thank you, anyway you sweet people.
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Insanus

Re: Allegories

Post by Insanus »

Ave wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:13 pm
There is no meaninless detail in the world, rather the mundane world speaks in sacred lanquage - yet to let associations run without any proportion turns one into a madman.
Both are familiar. The difference of lila and maya might be in some kind of aesthetic distance, allowing the spirit to shine without restriction. I often times confuse this with blind impulsivity, which might be analogous with giving too literal meanings to the twilight. I think musicians, probably creative workers/hobbyists of any kind are familiar with the experience of being stuck with a piece because they try to force the flows to fit in some idea how the finished work should look/sound like. The idea of getting it all done kills a lot of creativity and dynamism similarly.
Ave wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:13 pm
I composed my first piano piece a couple of days ago. I cannot really play the piano, but the notes just emerged from somewhere. I always kind of hated my compositions, but I've fell in love with this piece. I realized that playing piano is an allegory of bringing together of the hands and praying. Playing has now felt like praying. With my piano sessions I have gained a new insight into proportion and relations between emotion and stillness. I have observed how subtle thing a balance is. Every single note, every single stream in my being has to be balanced properly, relating to the whole (to the whole piece of music, to the whole human being) and to the Whole.
Congratulations.
I play the piano as well. It's a fascinating instrument in that it's so howdoyousayit "dissociated". I mean singing is literally your breath, playing a flute is your breathing through some tube, even guitar has your fingers on the strings that vibrate, but piano is a machine. You press buttons and you can see everything you do. Also perhaps the strangest "channeling" experience I've had happened while playing piano a decade or so ago. I got frustrated with Moonlight's third movement (I still can't play it properly) and being the mature young adult I was, started to hit random keys in anger. Randomly I happened to keep hitting things that were completely harmonious and it kept going like that even when I tried to increase speed and force some dissonance. I remember a feeling of fear and sensory overload and just quit.
"Notes emerging from somewhere" really is the proper way to compose, but makes me wonder what is this "somewhere" and how to properly communicate with it. I guess it works like grace.

It might be similar with interpreting the world poetically. The meanings just come like a teacher when the student is ready. But still, where do they come from, what causes synchronistic experience, why this and not that allegory...
Is it energized manas or affinity with one's atmic dharma that reveals the world as meaningful like the intuitions that find connections between chords and melodies if and only if the heart is tuned to some artistic venus.
Jumalan synnit ovat kourallinen hiekkaa ihmisen valtameressä
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Insanus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:38 pmThe difference of lila and maya might be in some kind of aesthetic distance, allowing the spirit to shine without restriction.

Maybe it is, or maybe this changes according to one's aspect. It seems that the distance what is needed in the crossing aspects of the White and the Eye, while the other cross of the Black and the Stone live the symbol by becoming one with it.

Insanus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:38 pmbut piano is a machine. You press buttons and you can see everything you do.

As a child I was asked, which means forced, by my parents to play an instrument for eight years. While this was probably for the best, I think that they were too eager, because violin was chosen for my instrument. Violin really needs a music enthusiast to sound anything but a tuberculotic cat. I asked if I could play piano instead, precisely because of this distance: I've always had this idea that even a man who is not willing to commit a part of his soul to the Muses of music (like me: my soul is sold elsewhere) can reach some average talent in piano, and that would have been enough for me. But instead of becoming an average pianist, I became a lousy violinist. Of course such a talent also has its uses, just not related to music... But we were already talking about allegories here.

Ave wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:13 pmLife on Earth is a cornucopia of allegories, aie?

Indeed, I take this almost literally. I mean, to me the world is a collection of symbols. If everything is a finger pointing to the moon, what can you grasp? Only the idea, anyway. The whole idea of "the concrete" is not concrete, either.

Ave wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:13 pmMistakes are holy.

Yes... the pain that they bring can become a fount of understanding. But I think many people would like to go on without tasting the water they have bittered. It's hard, and usually we have enough of hard already.

Ave wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:13 pmFor some reason, the brotherhood has been on my mind while playing. In my mind, I have named the piece after the brotherhood. But really, this music has no name. Thank you, anyway you sweet people.

Thank you for being & sharing with us, soror!
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Insanus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:38 pmI think musicians, probably creative workers/hobbyists of any kind are familiar with the experience of being stuck with a piece because they try to force the flows to fit in some idea how the finished work should look/sound like. The idea of getting it all done kills a lot of creativity and dynamism similarly.
I had almost forgotten how tedious it is to mix and master a musical work. One gets really tired of one's own piece of art even is one likes it in the first place very much, and it will never sound the same after hours and hours of listening the work again and again. You'll always "see" the arrangements and the way it is composed into the musical platform. It can ruin the whole work for one's self.
Nefastos wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:02 pm
Ave wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:13 pmLife on Earth is a cornucopia of allegories, aie?

Indeed, I take this almost literally. I mean, to me the world is a collection of symbols. If everything is a finger pointing to the moon, what can you grasp? Only the idea, anyway. The whole idea of "the concrete" is not concrete, either.
I take it literally, and I keep reminding myself of this symbolic and allegoric nature of the manifested world constantly. It can easily lead into the nullification of the beauty of the symbol and allegory.
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Insanus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:38 pm I play the piano as well. It's a fascinating instrument in that it's so howdoyousayit "dissociated". I mean singing is literally your breath, playing a flute is your breathing through some tube, even guitar has your fingers on the strings that vibrate, but piano is a machine.
Funny that you wrote piano being "dissociated", I've was planning to set a a thread about dissociation and spirituality but I started this instead. I kind of like this distant aspect of piano, it gives me some break from singing an its overloaded intimacy.
Insanus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:38 pm I got frustrated with Moonlight's third movement (I still can't play it properly) and being the mature young adult I was, started to hit random keys in anger. Randomly I happened to keep hitting things that were completely harmonious and it kept going like that even when I tried to increase speed and force some dissonance. I remember a feeling of fear and sensory overload and just quit.
Such an interesting occurence! My piano piece also had this channeling feel to it as it unfolded, but maybe nothing so wild. I had just left my band (as I felt that our thing wasn't enough something) and I had this musically spare space within me. And it was filled, I really did nothing.

But jeah, it's an interesting question why sometimes this "doing nothing" really leads to... well nothing! Yet sometimes one is blessed with otherworldy fruits of creativity. But so are the cycles of creation... there must be space (and death) for something to emerge. (As we all know.)
Insanus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:38 pm
"Notes emerging from somewhere" really is the proper way to compose, but makes me wonder what is this "somewhere" and how to properly communicate with it. I guess it works like grace.

I'd say the more empty one becomes, the more fullfilled s(he) is. But meanwhile one must really learn to endure the emptyness - or rather: fell in love with it.
Insanus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:38 pm
Is it energized manas or affinity with one's atmic dharma that reveals the world as meaningful like the intuitions that find connections between chords and melodies if and only if the heart is tuned to some artistic venus.
I'd say these meaninful leads - allegories, synchros, etc. - have a very dharmic feel to them. As if you were playing a mysticly familiar video game and you'd get this a-ha moment, remembering where you are heading and how to play the game through. I have always thought that video games and stage plays are excellent metaphors for live.
As a child I was asked, which means forced, by my parents to play an instrument for eight years. While this was probably for the best, I think that they were too eager, because violin was chosen for my instrument. Violin really needs a music enthusiast to sound anything but a tuberculotic cat. I asked if I could play piano instead, precisely because of this distance: I've always had this idea that even a man who is not willing to commit a part of his soul to the Muses of music (like me: my soul is sold elsewhere) can reach some average talent in piano, and that would have been enough for me. But instead of becoming an average pianist, I became a lousy violinist.

Yes, this is one the ways that the bourgeois classes have tortured their children. Even though it's easy to overlook such foolish customs and laugh about it, it really is not a laughing matter - as being forced into inauthentic activities is a violation of sorts. But that's whats raising up children has been for decades.

Of course such a talent also has its uses, just not related to music... But we were already talking about allegories here.
You left me curious.
Rúnatýr wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:07 am I had almost forgotten how tedious it is to mix and master a musical work. One gets really tired of one's own piece of art even is one likes it in the first place very much, and it will never sound the same after hours and hours of listening the work again and again. You'll always "see" the arrangements and the way it is composed into the musical platform. It can ruin the whole work for one's self.
Yes, I can relate to the tedious, for I have a habit of being nothing but annoyed by my creations. But this piano piece is really something else. I have already being little bit sad about the idea that I will learn to play it flawlessly someday. As I played today I feared that I'd get bored to it. But then my child danced to it and it felt already new
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Ave wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:45 pm
Nefastos wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:02 pmOf course such a talent also has its uses, just not related to music... But we were already talking about allegories here.

You left me curious.

Doing something where you are bad at teaches humility. And particularly where the instrument is so delicate that one can perceive how many things he should take into consideration while playing in order to be good, such a challenge & its immediate results give a glimpse about the world at large. (There is a humongous need for noting careful nuances, and it takes a master to actually work with them all.)
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Music and learning an instrument is a fine way to find allegories.

For me, even nowadays when I lose my focus and concentration I make some kind of angry voice out of frustration.
It's very difficult process to learn away from this. Maybe crack of whip has once helped me go forward and learn more but I think it has it's limitations and considerable disadvantages.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Ave wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:45 pmYes, I can relate to the tedious, for I have a habit of being nothing but annoyed by my creations.
I'm never really satisfied with anything I make, and the works of art I have created are in my personal view mediocre at the best. But this kind of perfectionism - an allegory there for sure - has also its positive side since it drives one forward. My usual attitude is: "okay, I finished this, I'll discard it from myself. What's next?"
Ave wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:45 pmBut then my child danced to it and it felt already new
That sounds lovely!
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:03 pm
Ave wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:45 pmYes, I can relate to the tedious, for I have a habit of being nothing but annoyed by my creations.
I'm never really satisfied with anything I make, and the works of art I have created are in my personal view mediocre at the best. But this kind of perfectionism - an allegory there for sure - has also its positive side since it drives one forward. My usual attitude is: "okay, I finished this, I'll discard it from myself. What's next?"

It's great if one is able to differentiate works of art from oneself and self-worth.
For me it has been too difficult and because of this the perfectionism is paralyzing. I can't really do anything because of it.
Also I have this half-assed pride (I mean I am able to reflect upon it and be humble but still have the mindset of pride) that I shouldn't produce anything if it's nothing completely new or grandiose.

Yet I think we all need practice and most, even the talented and clever people produce mediocre at best and why couldn't I think about creativity and art or any work as practice and exercise?
I tend to think too much about end product and all that surrounds it.
There is an inability to differentiate myself from what I do.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Kavi wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:38 am Also I have this half-assed pride (I mean I am able to reflect upon it and be humble but still have the mindset of pride) that I shouldn't produce anything if it's nothing completely new or grandiose.
This kind of attitude or mindset has been my pitfall for the past few years in everything, not just in creative acts or living. I had for long a mindset that because the world cannot be twisted into perfection there's no point in doing anything. I think it is called the "air test" in occult thought. If anything, this kind of perfectionism is truly paralyzing and it makes one a lesser being rather than greater.

It is said that once you start in the occult there's no turning back or stopping, for if one tries to squeeze oneself back into the egg shell one has once abandoned, one becomes worse than if one never started in the first place. I have found it to be true.