Masculine and Feminine Archetypes

Symbols and allegories.
obnoxion

Re: Masculine and Feminine Archetypes

Post by obnoxion »

Kavi wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:41 pm Now since we have made mention of the god Lunus, it should be known that all the most learned men have handed down the tradition, and it is at this day p21 so held, particularly by the people of Carrhae, that whoever believes that this deity should be called Luna, with the name and sex of a woman, is subject to women and always their slave; 4 whereas he who believes that the god is a male dominates his wife and is not caught by any woman's wiles. 5 Hence the Greeks and, for that matter, the Egyptians, though they speak of Luna as a "god" in the same way as they include woman in "Man," nevertheless in their mystic rites use the masculine "Lunus."
I think this quote exemplifies the point how esoteric practices are often - if not always - empowered by some form of inversion. The inversion is built upon a deeper understanding of the exoterically obscure ritual components. As above quote, these inversions shift power, at least in the inner dynamic of the ritual components, and thus in the psychological (and, if one accepts the possibility, the metaphysical) energies.

Then there is the question, how much more deeply are these components understood, and most of all, what are the intentions behind the power shifts. The latter could be the one thing that makes the vital difference between outwardly similar selfish rite of black magic, and an antinomian left handed ritual that is based on tantric woves that tie the practioners to ideal of compassion.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Angolmois

Re: Masculine and Feminine Archetypes

Post by Angolmois »

I started re-reading Guénon's 'The Great Triad' and it made me thinking about different kind of trinities and their correspondences, if there is any. Instead of making a different thread, I thought it oculd be linked to this conversation of different archetypes and their correspondences and relationships. I started thinking especially SoA's trinity atma-buddhi-manas and its relationship to the Father-Son-Holy Spirit. If one takes Guénon at face value, this assimilation would be totally erroneus; for example, the Holy Spirit corresponds to Purusha so it would a paternal principle and not maternal, and the closest thing to the Christian trinity in Eastern metaphysics would be the trinity Sat-Chit-Ananda. I'll link the PDF here, and if you have time to peruse through the first chapter, I'd very much like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

http://www.gornahoor.net/library/Rene_G ... _Triad.pdf