Symbols of holistic unity

Symbols and allegories.
User avatar
Smaragd
Frater
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:27 am

Symbols of holistic unity

Postby Smaragd » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Inspired by comments describing our publication Unseen Fire heavy, I dug out the Unseen Fire II from my bookshelf and was rewarded by the challenge of approaching the articles that had left unread, for they touched the most interesting subjects.

The article widely revolving around alder (by soror Heith) examined the bear hunting rituals in connection to a poem from Finnish national epic Kalevala, where Väinämöinen unable to kill a bewitched bear, invites it to come visit Kaleva. (p. 140-142)
As the article was presented in a way that allows the readers to enter the mythos and make their own conclusions, it feels proper to have a discussion about the subjects it presented — to feast on the meat it provided. I'd advide to read the article first, if you can get hold of it (psst), and to give special attention for the above mentioned pages to get the larger picture. But I'll try to draw some basic ideas here so everyone can get some hold of the subject.
Shorter or longer ponderings around these symbols and where they point towards are welcome, and if a symbol or a myth comes to your mind revolving around this mystic narrative of accepting the gift of Satan, here you can point towards it.

Considering bear was the king of the forest, thus representing otherness to the ancient Finn, there's apparent connection to the archetype of Satan. Bears were considered kindred spirits to humans and would only do harm while bewitched. Bewitched as in there would be some twisted approach to the otherness, which was to be confronted. Instead of casting out the bear itself Väinämöinen casts out the twisted logic by the act of simply inviting the bear to the homeland. What follows is a mystic union with the bear and the parts that make home.

The bear hunting rituals are wrapped around the taboo concealing the supposed act of killing. The taboo itself seems to be a metaphor for a creative act, a path that is not visible but behind intuitive endeavor. I would argue that this concealment tries to give necessary credit to the destructive powers of the cosmos, and at the same time keep distance from the too easy conclusion of violent spilling of blood. The article takes notice of blood and how at home after certain ritual procedures, I'd descripe sexual, females could look at the bear hunters through copper rings. Links between blood and copper is found in their colour and taste. I'd suggest this act of looking through the ring presents another level of union with the bear. The initial encounter have been made by the male hunter and then at home, in the warmth of a tent, the feminine aspect sees the purified meaning of this union. Purified as copper is believed to hold such qualities, as we see from the tradition of throwing copper coins in a wishing well — they should purify the water. When something is considered separate and approached to a point it no longer is something other, it is brought to the hermetically sealed sphere of home and in that act the sphere of home comes nearer to the inner sanctum that hold the unseparated spirit of oneself.

All these ideas of otherness, liminal tools and the taste of copper, and brass (which the article mentions to be a mixture of copper and zinc) also revived a heartwarming memory from early childhood. I used to secretly suck on these decorative brass keys of our bookshelf as the taste was superb. Symbolically quite a rich image.
User avatar
Heith
Sodalis
Posts: 2486
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Symbols of holistic unity

Postby Heith » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:29 pm

Oh how wonderful, I feel very honoured that you have read my article and make comments and share your thoughts about it! May I partake into this conversation as well, or do you feel like you rather talk with others?
Smaragd wrote:All these ideas of otherness, liminal tools and the taste of copper, and brass (which the article mentions to be a mixture of copper and zinc) also revived a heartwarming memory from early childhood. I used to secretly suck on these decorative brass keys of our bookshelf as the taste was superb. Symbolically quite a rich image.
Hah, me too- I actually had to be quite sneaky about it in order to get the keys because my parents knew I was a key sucking thief, so had to do it when they were not keeping an eye on me. Too many times I had been caught.
User avatar
Smaragd
Frater
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:27 am

Re: Symbols of holistic unity

Postby Smaragd » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Heith wrote:Oh how wonderful, I feel very honoured that you have read my article and make comments and share your thoughts about it! May I partake into this conversation as well, or do you feel like you rather talk with others?
Please do participate! The ideas we're after are important, not so much who voices them out.
Heith wrote:
Smaragd wrote:All these ideas of otherness, liminal tools and the taste of copper, and brass (which the article mentions to be a mixture of copper and zinc) also revived a heartwarming memory from early childhood. I used to secretly suck on these decorative brass keys of our bookshelf as the taste was superb. Symbolically quite a rich image.
Hah, me too- I actually had to be quite sneaky about it in order to get the keys because my parents knew I was a key sucking thief, so had to do it when they were not keeping an eye on me. Too many times I had been caught.
My hiding strategies were on the level of an ostrich: bum high towards the ceiling and head under pillow focusing on that key.
User avatar
Heith
Sodalis
Posts: 2486
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Symbols of holistic unity

Postby Heith » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:38 pm

As per usual, brother Smaragd, your text is packed with so much information that it takes much time to process. I mean this in a very good way, because every time I read the opening post of this thread, new shades of beginning thoughts begin to emerge in my mind.

I confess when writing my article I thought that I was attempting to communicating from a certain kind of otherness -a very small cultural shard that I'm not sure can be comprehended by those who are not a part of this culture. I thought, will I be able to write this in a way that allows people from very different viewpoints to understand the deeply etched meaning of forest that all Finns more or less share -will they be able to see the forest from the trees?
Smaragd wrote: I'd suggest this act of looking through the ring presents another level of union with the bear. The initial encounter have been made by the male hunter and then at home, in the warmth of a tent, the feminine aspect sees the purified meaning of this union. Purified as copper is believed to hold such qualities, as we see from the tradition of throwing copper coins in a wishing well — they should purify the water. When something is considered separate and approached to a point it no longer is something other, it is brought to the hermetically sealed sphere of home and in that act the sphere of home comes nearer to the inner sanctum that hold the unseparated spirit of oneself.
Very good interpretation, and I agree.

Perhaps you recall, in the article I mention also certain procedures to reach the otherness. These include spinning motions or walking in circles. In this way, there is a certain similarity to bringing the bear home, via careful procedures that "lessen" the otherness -bring the bear here. But the bear, or Satan, can never truly fully be here (I speculate) as it is such a being from "outside", almost opposite to us, and then the actual meeting point of success is at that point which is the seam, the edge, the middle point. If I were to compare this to the aspects, it would be both formless and with form; esoteric and exoteric. There lies the greatest secret I think, that one simultaneously is, and is not.

That doesn't make any sense, but perhaps you understand? That "point" between the two (or however many) worlds is the most interesting one, I think. It is from that connecting and thus uniting, and also separating point, where one can discover all that can be known of these both places. It's like, a current which moves at the same time inwards and outwards.
User avatar
Smaragd
Frater
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:27 am

Re: Symbols of holistic unity

Postby Smaragd » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Heith wrote:As per usual, brother Smaragd, your text is packed with so much information that it takes much time to process. I mean this in a very good way, because every time I read the opening post of this thread, new shades of beginning thoughts begin to emerge in my mind.
Good to hear the effort shows. I oftenly feel I'm overly careful approaching writing and sometimes I fight this letting thoughts slip quickly even on these forums. Shouldn't fight though, but try to find time for the middle bath.
Heith wrote:Perhaps you recall, in the article I mention also certain procedures to reach the otherness. These include spinning motions or walking in circles. In this way, there is a certain similarity to bringing the bear home, via careful procedures that "lessen" the otherness -bring the bear here. But the bear, or Satan, can never truly fully be here (I speculate) as it is such a being from "outside", almost opposite to us, and then the actual meeting point of success is at that point which is the seam, the edge, the middle point. If I were to compare this to the aspects, it would be both formless and with form; esoteric and exoteric. There lies the greatest secret I think, that one simultaneously is, and is not.

That doesn't make any sense, but perhaps you understand? That "point" between the two (or however many) worlds is the most interesting one, I think. It is from that connecting and thus uniting, and also separating point, where one can discover all that can be known of these both places. It's like, a current which moves at the same time inwards and outwards.
Yes, that circling motion around the bear and the copper ring seens to form a portal from the lair of the bear to the home tent of the human. These are the two points and in between that middle point of pilgrimage. Reading the article I realized the mystical meaning when thinking this voyage in the middle. At the village end, forms started to be clearer, but although meaningful rituals were performed the middle point held something that I wanted to get back to. Anyway I would like to think that when the pilgrimage between the two has been repeated enough times the home tent kind of becomes all three points at once and mystery is no more.
User avatar
Heith
Sodalis
Posts: 2486
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Symbols of holistic unity

Postby Heith » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:27 am

Smaragd wrote: Anyway I would like to think that when the pilgrimage between the two has been repeated enough times the home tent kind of becomes all three points at once and mystery is no more.
Of course, I think this is also possible if it's a desirable end result which one seeks. I daresay the hunters in my article, did not wish for such an outcome; but then men and women of another profession (a magical one), would naturally be more at ease in crossing the borders effortlessly. Such a task is not less dangerous than rousing a bear from it's winter sleep but it is dangerous in a different kind of way. It's not for everyone -but neither is hunting for bears.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest