Your heroes?

Symbols and allegories.
Heith

Re: Your heroes?

Post by Heith »

RPSTOVAL wrote:Is this heros in general? or just philosophy? or in art? or what?

I have a bloody lot :lol:
Anything you deem as worthy of your hero.

I like your user picture :D
RPSTOVAL

Post by RPSTOVAL »

Heith wrote:
RPSTOVAL wrote:I like your user picture :D
So do I :D
Chief adviser and magister templi at the Golden Apple Corps
RPSTOVAL

Post by RPSTOVAL »

Something like:

Antonin Artaud - playwright

Aleister Crowley - Occultist, mystic, writer, playwright, mountaineer and more

James Joyce - Novelist, poet

Carl Gustav Jung - Psychiatrist/psychoanalyst, writer, closet-Gnostic spiritual

Robert Anton Wilson - Writer, novelist, lecturer, funny-guy philosopher

John Dee - Occultist, mystic

John Zorn - Musician, composer, kindred spirit

and other names:

Kenneth Anger
- Filmmaker
Eliphas Levi - Occultist, writer
Karlheinz Stockhausen - Composer, a great and innovative mind
Samuel Beckett - Playwright
John Waters - Filmmaker
Frater Achad - Occultist, writer, poet
David Lynch - Filmmaker

Those are probably the biggest, don't say I didn't warn you :lol:
Heith

Post by Heith »

Nice, thanks for posting with photos, it's a lot of fun like this.

William Shakespeare
Whose sonnets I only read this year, but whom I've grown to respect and love deeply. I seem to recall someone (Omoksha?) mentioning to me that Shakespeare and John Dee met, and there is some metaphysical influence in Shakespeare's work from mr. Dee.

Queen Elizabeth I, also known as "The Virgin Queen"
She was the first female monarch to succesfully rule the kingdom; those before her (and I would go so far as to say, also after her) never managed what she could do. Reading her letters and from what I am able to find in historical sources, she seems as quite the character, yet in her fierce independence there lies a certain tragedy as well; to be a woman in her position, one need be ten times better than the best man, and still endure being compared to the worst. Elizabeth I took her position to where it should go to, and became not merely a woman, but a symbol, which I find quite esoteric, actually. Although her reign has its problems, she did manage to stop the religious persecutions which had been going on before her reign, for example.

"If thy heart fails thee, climb not at all." -Elizabeth I
RPSTOVAL

Post by RPSTOVAL »

Shakespeare has some cool works! While I'm not that fussed on some of the more popular plays, I like "The Tempest", "The Twelfth Night", "The rape of Lucrece" and "the Phoenix and the Turtle" :D

Shakespeare and Dee met? what? :o I'll have to look into that!
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Even I don't consider these people my heroes because I find that word too strong. I have never being a people adoring type, but more like an idea/ideology oriented. But...let's put some of those people I respect a lot. First:

Richard Phillips Feynman (May 11, 1918 – February 15, 1988) was an American theoretical physicist known for his work in the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, the theory of quantum electrodynamics, and the physics of the superfluidity of supercooled liquid helium, as well as in particle physics for which he proposed the parton model...

Why Feynman and not some other scientist? Feynman was same time the archetypical weird extremely intelligent scientist, but also feet on ground, easy-going and friendly dude, who was genuinely himself and not concerning how you should "behave correctly". He was also endlessly fascinated by the marvels of universe and living.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Florence Nightingale was a unique lamp in the dark, and her work for healthcare, sanitation, culture, women's rights et cetera is amazing. For me, she is the kind of hero who sets an example to follow. A less known fact is the hermeticism played a part in her finding her calling. I hope more people would be thus inspired by hermeticism.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Yinlong

Post by Yinlong »

Probably all of them. ;)
Quaerendo Invenietis - Na dìomhcuimhnich a-chaoidh - Feuer frei!
Mimesis

Post by Mimesis »

Heith wrote:

I seem to recall someone (Omoksha?) mentioning to me that Shakespeare and John Dee met, and there is some metaphysical influence in Shakespeare's work from mr. Dee.
RPSTOVAL wrote:
Shakespeare and Dee met? what? :o I'll have to look into that!
This is speculative, so not a definitive view, and there is nothing in written record to prove it as fact. It is however a thought shared among some, and it is one that I like to consider as at least possible, even if just amorously.

But practically speaking, it isn't as outrageous as it at first seems. A young Shakespeare would have been alive at the same time as an older Dee, both (at times) in Elizabethan England. And Dee, at one time at least, had the largest and most renowned library in Europe, which was located at his home in Mortlake and would have still been in tact when Shakespeare first went to London (I think).

Vincent Bridges has said and written some interesting things regarding this, and is worth reading/listening to if this musing is of interest.

But whether they met or not, I certainly view a metaphysical, and particularly an alchemical thread from Dee in some of Shakespeare's work. Particularly in The Tempest and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Shakespeare's understanding of the motivations, tragedies, workings, sufferings, musings and mechanics (etc) of man are, to me at least, pretty much unsurpassed. And there are endless alchemical and spiritual threads to the workings of man within his work, as well as of course the more visceral and 'human' conditions that are perhaps more obvious.
And he expressed this huge depth of understanding and intuition within some of the most stunning poetry and drama ever written.

I admit my subjective bias here : p
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
Mimesis

Post by Mimesis »

If my above reply did not make it obvious enough, then I would absolutely consider Shakespeare to be a hero of mine. In fact, in relation to the hero wall mentioned in this thread; I have a framed portrait of Shakespeare on the wall that my writing desk leans against.

Rather than labouring some of the points that I have already touched on above, as to my basis in adoring Shakespeare, I will revisit something I said a while ago in the poetry thread....

I was robbed of truly appreciating Shakespeare's work until relatively recently, solely due to how one is 'taught' to read poetry (in the UK at least); specifically in this instance, Shakespeare's poetry.
Understanding and appreciating his work was blocked to me for so many years because I was trying so hard to apply this kind of critical pre-tense, which blinded me to all that his work is trying to say, in favour instead of some plastic analysis of language.
It is only recently, when I stopped trying to understand him, his use of language and the context of the time that he wrote within, that I really began to, ironically, understand him and the depth and beauty of his work. Now, his sonnets are to me among the finest and most beautiful - and at times - the most achingly relatable.

I have known both frustration and adoration of Shakespeare. My leanings now are very much entrenched in the latter.
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."