If you were a mythical creature, which one would you be?

Symbols and allegories.
Heith

If you were a mythical creature, which one would you be?

Post by Heith »

So! I am sure everyone has thought of this. Which mythical creauture would you most like to be, or think you would most likely be? And why?
Nefastos

Re: If you were a mythical creature, which one would you be?

Post by Nefastos »

I am the bird that is inside of the hare that is buried in a chest under the oak in the island that houses the soul of Koschei the Deathless.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

Nefastos wrote:I am the bird that is inside of the hare that is buried in a chest under the oak in the island that houses the soul of Koschei the Deathless.
Beautiful, thank you for sharing! You are a riddle :)

This proved actually be a pretty difficult question. Some options spring to mind.

In some ways, a vampire would be an easy pick. I think it’s being an outsider, not to mention having all the time one wants to fulfil one’s artistic duty which I find as relatable and inviting. A vampire is also dead, so I think the idea of existing in both death and life as if stuck in between fascinates me; that thin line in between. Vampires also have a kind of elitistic air about them, but in a decadent, ruined way which appeals to my romantic side. The question of addiction to a substance -in this case of a vampire, blood- is making me doubt. But then all manner of creatures must feast in order to survive.

Certainly a vampire deals very deeply with questions of both mortification and vivification.

I still think that perhaps I would be more clearly an animal of sorts. A kitsune, maybe (which is a shapeshifting fox spirit in Japanese folk tales, and generally in Asia) due to their obviously neutral chaotic nature. They are also tricksters, but not maliciously, rather in just that chaotic neutral way.

EDIT: I noticed the most terrible autocorrect. I had typed in "Kitsune" which had been autocorrected to a kitten. I think I would rather die than be a cat. :D
Sothoth

Post by Sothoth »

A difficult question, but what springed to mind are Huginn and/or Muninn. Wise ravens that gather information to the god of wisdom. And I've always liked ravens really much.
Silvaeon

Post by Silvaeon »

At first I thought this would be an easy question, but it proved to be a little bit difficult.

I've never held much of an interest in astrology before, and my greek mythology is lacking at best -but being as I'm Sagittarius, the Centaur has always intrigued me. It's interesting to think about the line betwee man and beast. More accurtely, I would have to say I identify most with the Wood Elf (ie. from Tolkien). A little bit aloof from the affairs of the rest of the world, protectors of the forest, seekers of knowledge.

Animals are a little bit easier. When I was a kid, my parents had beautiful wolf paintings all over the house. My Dad and I used to howl at the full moon. Silly, but the wolf holds a special significance for me. Loyal, loving towards the pack, majestic and mysterious. I would most like to be a wolf. Ravens also hold an importance for me, representing wisdom, otherness and the freedom to fly. Or maybe I am most like a tortoise... slow and steady! :)
Peregrina

Post by Peregrina »

I'd be faery or perhaps appsara of the buddhist mythology.

I'm fond of the idea that faeries were angels who refused to take sides when Lucifer rebelled, and therefore were banished, not to Hell but to Earth to live in their illusory twilight realms beside human world.
They are creatures of the in between places, refugees who weaved their moonlit kingdoms from the fabric of human subconscious.
Faerie is a moonlit world of distorted mirrors and lunacy, filled with weird beings who are divine and monstrous at the same time.
Faeries can be a blessing or a curse to the people who encounter them, you just have to know how to deal with them.
Appsaras, as I see them, are minor goddesses who spent seven days in heaven worlds enjoying themselves, followed by seven days in the tortures of the hell worlds.
This is due to their very good karma and equal amount of bad karma.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I have given this a lot of thought, and if I had to choose I think I'd be a Flying Yogini. Like the ones depicted in the circular hypaethral temples of India; the temples of the 64 Yogini Cult. I adore Yoginis!
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.