Symbols & symbolism in your life

Symbols and allegories.
User avatar
Aquila
Frater
Posts: 672
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:14 pm

Symbols & symbolism in your life

Postby Aquila » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:59 pm

I thought that it could be interesting to start a general and kind of "down to earth" topic about symbolism. I'll begin with some questions. You can answer them all or just choose the ones that you find interesting.

Let's start with a basic question: what symbols do you find the most important to you and why? For example, these symbols can be anything including pentagram, cross or different shapes in general, animals, plants, planets, etc.

How much are you paying attention to symbolism during different events and things that happen in your life? Is there any specific symbols that seem to appear amazingly often to you and how do you interpret them? Is it like interpreting a dream that you saw or is it more convincing because it happened in "the real world"? Do you feel there is always a deeper meaning to them or could it be that at some occasions it's just something insignificant?
Wyrmfang
Frater
Posts: 1105
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 10:22 pm
Location: Jyväskylä

Re: Symbols & symbolism in your life

Postby Wyrmfang » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:25 pm

I don´t concentrate much on particular symbols and systems of such. Every living situation is a symbol itself, and use I mainly my intuition directly so that I often cannot rationally explain what I mean and even less why.

There is a risk towards groundless subjectivity in this, but I think the opposite risk is often greater, at least in my case. I mean that thinking something according to some symbol system should always be only a means, not an end in itself. If there are many people who are blind to many things because they interpret the world only according to some too limited and/or partial view, it is in a way even harder to change the situation if the distortion is on a more subtle level, namely because of some particular symbolic system.
User avatar
Aquila
Frater
Posts: 672
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:14 pm

Re: Symbols & symbolism in your life

Postby Aquila » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Wyrmfang wrote:
There is a risk towards groundless subjectivity in this, but I think the opposite risk is often greater, at least in my case. I mean that thinking something according to some symbol system should always be only a means, not an end in itself. If there are many people who are blind to many things because they interpret the world only according to some too limited and/or partial view, it is in a way even harder to change the situation if the distortion is on a more subtle level, namely because of some particular symbolic system.
That's definitely true. Symbols as well as the situations where they appear are always alive and never restricted to any certain system. Symbols should be interpreted intuitively but of course knowledge of different systems of symbolism will help if not followed dogmatically. There is never one single meaning for any symbol that would always be absolutely correct in every situation.
obnoxion
Sodalis
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Re: Symbols & symbolism in your life

Postby obnoxion » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 pm

I think Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche has said it clearly enough in his "The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep" (Snow Lion Publications, 1998), page 56:

"Instruction through symbols and metaphors is the most powerful way to communicate spiritual teachings in language. But it is a use of language one must learn to understand."
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Lux

Re: Symbols & symbolism in your life

Postby Lux » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:24 pm

obnoxion wrote:I think Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche has said it clearly enough in his "The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep" (Snow Lion Publications, 1998), page 56:

"Instruction through symbols and metaphors is the most powerful way to communicate spiritual teachings in language. But it is a use of language one must learn to understand."
Good quote. Symbols are the language of the God(s), and Nature is the reflection of God. This is why symbolism is the first, the highest and the best language to communicate not only spiritual teachings, but also many different things between people of different origins.

As an artist symbolism and metaphorical ways of understanding things are very important and close to myself, since they are a very effective way to portray numerous different things and levels of being at the same time. This requires skill, understanding and intuition, though, to be understood correctly. Some symbols and their meanings may take a long time to open up correctly in their whole meaning, and as has been said by others, although symbols have also their objective and superpersonal levels (= not open to different interpretations), in practice they are a living language and not a rigid code system.
User avatar
Eradicatus
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:44 am

Re: Symbols & symbolism in your life

Postby Eradicatus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:22 am

Dreams and Visions that come across me in time each carry a significant meaning, some carry a message that one must figure out as they can, for within them can be a place and a meeting with various spirits and other forces, sometimes they warn of certain events in such cases that may end up happening, and they can also show you something that you need to be aware of.

Snakes and cats happen to be great animals which made favorable pets I have had since I was a child, a snake has wisdom many do not realize they have and when you show them no fear and approach them in a welcoming manner they will not harm someone, only if they feel provoked or threaten would they strike which is in self-defense, they are always observant and ever watchful and are aware of their surroundings. Cats tend to be quite mellow while some can be very playful as a pet, they always enjoy attention and will in return give their attention back to you, what they have hunt such as a mouse or bird and such they will bring to you as a gift to show that they want to give you something in return for taking care of them.

The number 22 has always popped up in my life in many cases, I am in time trying to figure out why but I am taking a guess now since I am 22 now that it may mean something special may be coming around, which several fortunate and unfortunate events have happened for me, but they is one so far I am happy that has happened and look forward to much more while I figure out the message behind the meaning with the number popping up so many times.
Build not upon sand, but upon rock And build not for today or yesterday but for all time.
- Codex Saerus, The Black Book of Satan - Anton Long.
Lux

Re: Symbols & symbolism in your life

Postby Lux » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Eradicatus wrote:The number 22 has always popped up in my life in many cases, I am in time trying to figure out why but I am taking a guess now since I am 22 now that it may mean something special may be coming around, which several fortunate and unfortunate events have happened for me, but they is one so far I am happy that has happened and look forward to much more while I figure out the message behind the meaning with the number popping up so many times.
At least the number 22 and "the great mysteries" of the Tarot (Life, Web of Wyrd etc.) are closely linked together, the number symbolising a complete journey through the micro- and macrocosm.

I think it was Nefastos who pointed out to me also that it was proven in some psychological academic research that man needs at least 22 repetitions to learn throughly some basic intellectual or theoretical things; maybe Nefastos can clear this more since I can't remember more of it out of the blue. I think it can be related to the great mysteries and their symbolism, however.
User avatar
Eradicatus
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:44 am

Re: Symbols & symbolism in your life

Postby Eradicatus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:12 am

Lux wrote:
At least the number 22 and "the great mysteries" of the Tarot (Life, Web of Wyrd etc.) are closely linked together, the number symbolising a complete journey through the micro- and macrocosm.

I think it was Nefastos who pointed out to me also that it was proven in some psychological academic research that man needs at least 22 repetitions to learn throughly some basic intellectual or theoretical things; maybe Nefastos can clear this more since I can't remember more of it out of the blue. I think it can be related to the great mysteries and their symbolism, however.

Thank you Lux. I am gonna take some time to look more in to this, Interesting because in the Major Arcana of the Tarot there is 22 Cards each having their own message and meaning
Build not upon sand, but upon rock And build not for today or yesterday but for all time.
- Codex Saerus, The Black Book of Satan - Anton Long.
User avatar
Seeker666
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Symbols & symbolism in your life

Postby Seeker666 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:34 am

the Skull and Crossbones- An obvious symbol of Death, but also something deeper. the flesh or clay vessel rots away, and the bones remain after Death, to me, the bones represent a sort of solidified soul. the eternal body that is free from ego and flesh. the skull was held in HIGH regard by many ancient societies as the seat of the soul. the crossed bones represent a gateway, also X which is considered by some to be the mark of Cain.

the Inverse Pentagram and Pentacle, with/without the Goat- This, to me, represents the Master. it is the Sabbatic Goat and it's point is downwards, towards the Underworld. towards the Chthonic currents of the Master. the Chthonic currents of Death as well. it traces to Pythagoras and was actually used to represent 5 chambers of Tartaros. in some ways, The Gates of Hell.

XIII- 13 the number of Death, X- the gateway, III the three keys or Pillars

The Inverted Cross- rejection of the christian demiurgic god, the hanged man, the concept of the Christos descending into Hell, drawing power from within, and below, from the infernal or chthonic regions.

the black cross or Crucifix- the Hanged man, the Lord of Death, the Master of cemeteries, Golgotha, Death, sacrifice for wisdom.

the 10 point pentagram/double pentagram- the union of opposites. Satan and Lucifer combining as one.

the infernal union- the double serpent Samael-lilith sowing the flaming seed into the womb of Eve and giving birth to Qayin and his twin Sister.

the Serpent/Dragon - Wisdom, Lucifer/Satan, Lilith/Sophia, inspiration, sexuality, kundalini, strength, fury, wrath and mercy.

the Phallus- the active, penatrative, masculine force. direction of power, rising kundalini serpent, the lance/spear/sword.

the womb/vagina- the abyss, the waters of life and death, portal of manifestation, passive, feminine force, recieving the power, containing power, the Cauldron/cup.

Fire- the black flame of wisdom, life/death, simultaneous creation/destruction, holiness, sanctification, portal.
"Eritis sicut Deus, Scientes Bonum et Malum"- Mephistopheles
User avatar
Heith
Sodalis
Posts: 2491
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Symbols & symbolism in your life

Postby Heith » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Certain animals seem to hold a lot of meaning when it comes to my work. Lately, snakes have found their way in my life again, and I've thought of the movement of snakes and how it relates to me and to my artistic work.

Foxes, as most brethren know, are somewhat of an obsession to me. They represent all things excellent- shapeshifting (or metamorphosis), fire, hidden things, eroticism, witchy things and the kind of power that I personally feel close to.

Horses, at one point frequent visitors in my dreams, especially a white horse. These often represent death. Ravens, it always feels special to see ravens fly by or even to hear them. And a black wolf has appeared lately as well. I think it represents a more raw, primal power. Almost hypnotic. But I'm not entirely sure yet, have to wait and see.

Often animals that I find significant are black, with the exception of the fox. The fox is always red.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest