Dragon Rouge

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
Angolmois

Dragon Rouge

Post by Angolmois »

My knowledge of Dragon Rouge is basically limited to what their website reveals of the order. Is there anyone here with some insight to the workings of this society?
obnoxion

Re: Dragon Rouge

Post by obnoxion »

Boreas wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:48 pm My knowledge of Dragon Rouge is basically limited to what their website reveals of the order. Is there anyone here with some insight to the workings of this society?
As you know, having read my letter of application back in the day, I was a member of the DR when I joined, and remained one for year or so after joining the SoA. I only had got through the first degree by then. The materials for the degrees aren't public and it costs a small sum to get the material, so it wouldn't be right to divulge their contents. At least back then all members could buy the first three degrees, but after that you could only progress if you get invited to do so. And I think there was ten or eleven degrees in total. The membership itself had an annual fee also, but taking the degrees wasn't mandatory.

So the heart of their working remains a secret to those who aren't deep inside the order. I suppose that, apart from the information on their homepage and publications (and apparently much of Therion's lyrics), one just needs to take a leap of faith joining and progressing in the order to know the workings. But each member I met or was in contact with were amazing people - very intelligent, highly ethical, very easy to be around with - so judging by that alone, I would have felt comfortable trying to progress in the order. I just started to feel that a double-membership was like spreading myself too thin, so I made the decision to concentrate on the SoA.

The criteria for mebership has gotten a bit thighter since then. I believe that people with academic education are prefered. In the long run, being in a LHP order you really need to be an adult in the demanding sense of the word. You need to be able to rely on yourself and make importan decisions on your own.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Thank you for the answer Obnoxion! I remembered your earlier affiliation with DR but did not want to divulge it in public unless you brought it up.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Boreas wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:58 pm Thank you for the answer Obnoxion! I remembered your earlier affiliation with DR but did not want to divulge it in public unless you brought it up.
Very considerate of you. But though DR represents a somewhat different approach to LHP, having once been part of that impressive order is not something I regret. DR is, I think, quite exclusively on the left path. It is a very different thing to be in SoA, where the paths are united. In tantric terms, I consider DR as closer to vamacara, whereas SoA is closer to kaula. And I hold kaula ideals.

But I am hardly an expert on DR.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

How I came to be a member of SoA started with Dragon Rouge. When I found out about it, I was very interested and started writing my application. A few days later I told a friend, whom I thought might be interested, or would know about it already. He said "that's kids stuff, read this" and handed me Argarizim: The Fall Of Lucifer. After reading a few lines of that I forgot all about my intent on joining DR. Indeed, DR seemed like some horror movie fan club by comparison. Certainly not more LHP, than SoA. But I have no knowledge of what serious membership would possibly lead to after a few years. Also I'd say the SoA has become a lot more accessible over the years, still not like the Dragon Rouge. I'll mention, if I would ever quit SoA, I'd join Temple Of Set, or just go back to being a pratyeka.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Benemal wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:49 pm DR seemed like some horror movie fan club by comparison. Certainly not more LHP, than SoA
I would put it this way: DR is more exclusively LHP, whereas SoA is inclusively so. By this I mean that SoA includes essential aspects of LHP and RHP, while excluding peripheral aspects of both. An exclusively LHP order would exclude more RHP aspects, and include more peripheral LHP phenomenon.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

obnoxion wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:14 pm I would put it this way: DR is more exclusively LHP, whereas SoA is inclusively so. By this I mean that SoA includes essential aspects of LHP and RHP, while excluding peripheral aspects of both. An exclusively LHP order would exclude more RHP aspects, and include more peripheral LHP phenomenon.
I understand. At the time I was very deeply impressed with (still am) Argarizim (I read the second one also, which was not so impressive) and Fosforos. I didn't understand the importance (or what it was) of Buddhi, until after it's awakening. I'd say that's all I need, from the right side, or theosophy. The most important aspect.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Benemal wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:28 pmAt the time I was very deeply impressed with (still am) Argarizim (I read the second one also, which was not so impressive)

I think by "the second one" you mean "Argarizim I: Commentary of the Sermon on the Mount", whereas "Argarizim II: The Fall of Lucifer" was actually the latter of the two. Not that the numbers mattered, for they were written at the same time (2006 just after the Star of Azazel was officially founded, to solidify the brotherhood's idea). Sermon on the Mount commentary was written for the Right Hand Path esotericists, to consider the meaningful parts in the Left Hand Path occultism or discourse, and the Fall of Lucifer vice versa. The idea of joining the hands has been embraced by many a Left Hand Path occultist, but the Right Hand Path in Finland seems to remain as rigid as it ever were. The glass is half full, I think.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Nefastos wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:57 pm "Argarizim I: Commentary of the Sermon on the Mount"
Although my roots are deep in the Left side, "Argarizim I" made a huge impression on me. I had been reading for some years about the pagan parallels of crucified Christ and about Jesus as sorcerer, and I was good and ready for a paradigma shift. But it was "Argarizim I" that finished the job. It must be one of the most important books I've read.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

obnoxion wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:06 pm
Nefastos wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:57 pm "Argarizim I: Commentary of the Sermon on the Mount"
Although my roots are deep in the Left side, "Argarizim I" made a huge impression on me. I had been reading for some years about the pagan parallels of crucified Christ and about Jesus as sorcerer, and I was good and ready for a paradigma shift. But it was "Argarizim I" that finished the job. It must be one of the most important books I've read.
Same here. Argarizim I made me first time to understand and value the symbolism and language of Christian Esoterism. I haven't been the same after reading it. It is a very important work and I'm greatly looking forward for the new version.