Monastic Life

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
Beshiira

Re: Monastic Life

Post by Beshiira »

Sure, I see that too. And the potential of something very good happening as a result, in the long run. When it's in your face, people might realize better how fragile this world of ours is.

In practice, still, I am deeply saddened by the tragedy we are heading towards.
"Ja kun minun kirkkauteni kulkee ohitse, asetan minä sinut kallion rotkoon ja peitän sinut kädelläni, kunnes olen kulkenut ohi.
Kun minä sitten siirrän pois käteni, näet sinä minun selkäpuoleni; mutta minun kasvojani ei voi kenkään katsoa."
Krepusculum

Re: Monastic Life

Post by Krepusculum »

obnoxion wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:26 pm This image has entered my mind, too. When I pass by the Turku Cthedral, I always see it like some giant, canine, corporeal Satan, petrifiedly awaiting some apocalyptic horde from the Gulf of Bothnia. So if had to draw a picture of Satan, I'd propably sketch some animated version of the Turku Cathedral.
Admittedly the Church (Rome) was seen as The Devil by a few medieval heretical Christian streams. Satan being closely interweaved within this analogy even if it is only in its deceptive character resonates true. This corporeal appearance into cold slabs of stone is quite awe striking.
Beshiira wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:27 pm Yes! I came to the conclusion once that it might be that Christianity ”works best” in monasteries, where it is followed ”strictly” and consistently enough. And especially in such places, at best, it also seems that the boundaries of what ”Christianity” actually is, widen. Maybe it goes both ways and Christianity works best either when taken seriously enough, to for example devote oneself to monastery life, or when taken lightly enough, so that the whole church is seen more as a humanitarian institute and not so much as a spiritual one.
To some degree monastic experience could enhance the package so to say for those who are so inclined but I don't believe it is necessarily the best representation of it. I agree that the perception & understanding in that area can absolutely be widened in such a places but as you rightfully said it maybe still will remain within this limited boundary of "Christianity". Personally I don't even have the notion that it has been whollly represented. Only it's "bright side" so to speak has been given a distorted voice as we have been presented with mostly a limited amount of it's facets through the dogma of Petric jurisprudence. In it's name countless atrocities performed to this day and that will remain the mystery of it's purpose in human development that cannot be grasped by mundane ideas.
In the wake of Rosicrucianism with the surge of texts by mystics like Jacob Böhme a more unifying philosophy was presented, perhance because it was a time when dictating such philosophies was not without risk but less dangerous than a few hundred years before. And there can be no coincidence regarding this. It's core values where already present before the crucifixion. And since it rose in an era of supression, cocooned in the Kali Yuga it has not been able to develop it's true nature. There might be justifiable esoteric reasons for this if seen in a larger context but if we remain of the childish notion all injustices and terrors in life are without purpose or precedence our eyes will remain sealed. So I am talking here of the ascending principle. Of values and morals that understand inevitable cosmic principles and necessity through time, free from the scrutiny of deluded preachers and superficial gullible audiences. It's name a mere crumbling fallacy.

The humanitarian aspect might have it's positive aspects and we can only judge each individuals motives separately but in general most people do such "good" deeds out of selfishness sourced from fear.

Western European culture through its course has become so deeply involved with Christianity for better or worse in it's old form that we have come to believe and conclude that there is nothing more to it. What has survived even in symbolical hidden form through sciences, art, architecture, vestments/clothing, heraldry, weapons and philosophy among others are at times to my understanding more representative to it. In direct lineage and simultaneously connected to our archaic pre christian past and therefore remains also just a part of the developing whole.

Very interesting to hear you have already stayed at monasteries, in this regard you are ahead of me. Myself I have lived in different places and enjoy learning a fresh language and immersing myself in new environments. Being in a state of tabula rasa there is a sense of percieved freedom when there are no direct connections and familiarities, a new space of self to be explored.