Positive encounters with the Religious

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
Polyhymnia

Re: Positive encounters with the Religious

Post by Polyhymnia »

My first marriage was very tumultuous and a co-worker turned friend invited me to her church's young adult group to get me out of the house once a week. It was a welcome refuge, and though I initially thought I would hate it, I was met with thoughtful conversation and the feeling that those around me were genuinely compassionate and loving human beings. I'm pretty sure the specific denomination was an alliance church (evangelical protestant), and despite my declaration of being an atheist at the time, I felt very welcome. And not even in a "of course they're welcoming because it's their sole mission to convert me" sort of way. I'm still occasionally in touch with the pastor from that time in my life over a decade ago. That entire group changed the way I viewed Christians. Perhaps it was the stark contrast to my home life that made it seem so much more loving to me at the time, but I truly feel like that group was full of seriously kind and gentle people.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Kavi

Re: Positive encounters with the Religious

Post by Kavi »

Polyhymnia wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:19 am My first marriage was very tumultuous and a co-worker turned friend invited me to her church's young adult group to get me out of the house once a week. It was a welcome refuge, and though I initially thought I would hate it, I was met with thoughtful conversation and the feeling that those around me were genuinely compassionate and loving human beings. I'm pretty sure the specific denomination was an alliance church (evangelical protestant), and despite my declaration of being an atheist at the time, I felt very welcome. And not even in a "of course they're welcoming because it's their sole mission to convert me" sort of way. I'm still occasionally in touch with the pastor from that time in my life over a decade ago. That entire group changed the way I viewed Christians. Perhaps it was the stark contrast to my home life that made it seem so much more loving to me at the time, but I truly feel like that group was full of seriously kind and gentle people.
This is very nice and heartwarming to read.

I start with negative encounters because it's crucial to understand also the positive:
Recently I've tried to memorize my past from era when general consensus around congregation was that all events appearing in life and world were based on conspiratorial nature of Satan's lies, very negative views towards sexuality and quite pervert interpretation of "worldliness'. Even Christians are not safe and could be cast into eternity of suffering because somehow Satan is very powerful and Lord of this world and can turn one astray from redemption of Christ but still Satan somehow is seen as a loser because God is more powerful and won already in the long run? Also life's idea was just to survive "last days on earth" and get to Heaven or at least this is how I interpreted it.
Of course I try to be very polite when it comes to the person but the more I think about logic behind these smallish movements more I think there is a lot of unhealthy aspects.
I sometimes review older and newer teachings and I feel I lose each time a few brain cells more...
But I think there are some good aspects in this form of religiousness too. People need some kind of experience that they are alive and loved by someone in this stressful and confusing life and Lutheran form of religious practicing is not pleasing many people.

It's actually quite a miracle how I didn't become more traumatized as the whole act of Sunday worshiping was akin to Toronto Blessings. Whole bunch of adult people losing their control and "holy laughter" and twitching on ground.
But, later I met friends who were Christians but in very much liberal, unorthodox and open-minded way, that were interested in ufos, horror movies, paranormal and so on. This was very mind-boggling and perspective changing event for me.
My whole worldview before this was based on that only few were truly Christians excluding Lutherans, Catholics etc.
Later on I started to feel the same that in some ways I was excluded as well.

One Christian friend actually introduced me to SoA which is quite interesting if you think about it!