Mythological/Religious Curiosities

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
Jiva

Re: Mythological/Religious Curiosities

Post by Jiva »

I’m not sure where else to post this, but me and Omoksha recently visited Bristol cathedral. Inside there is a surviving Anglo-Saxon relief carving of the Harrowing of Hell, where Jesus is standing on Satan’s head while rescuing Adam and Eve from Hell. I didn’t take a picture, but the following is from the cathedral’s website and so should remain active for a while.

The Christian symbolism is obvious, but I was immediately reminded of something Blavatsky wrote in The Secret Doctrine, where she essentially re-formulated the Sāṃkhya idea of Puruṣa (pure consciousness) being impotent unless he mounts the shoulders of the senseless Prakṛti (primordial matter) into non-dual terms.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
RaktaZoci

Re: Mythological/Religious Curiosities

Post by RaktaZoci »

Jiva wrote: The Christian symbolism is obvious, but I was immediately reminded of something Blavatsky wrote in The Secret Doctrine, where she essentially re-formulated the Sāṃkhya idea of Puruṣa (pure consciousness) being impotent unless he mounts the shoulders of the senseless Prakṛti (primordial matter) into non-dual terms.
Very interesting comparison! I'm slowly diving into the secret doctrine, so I'll return to this when these passages are imminent (which could actually take some time, since I have hundred other things to do at the same time.. :D ).
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel