Golden Dawn

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
Vanadís

Re: Golden Dawn

Post by Vanadís »

I can attend reading group if the schedule is very loose. I had in mind to go through some chapters of the book, but if book speaks very shortly about something, I can pause reading and take another book to deepen the subject. For example this book speaks very shortly about tarot - so I had in mind to read Rachel Pollack's "78 Degrees of Wisdom" to deepen this area, because Pollack's book speaks also about Golden Dawn.

Best way to share the book reading for me would be to talk about it when we meet, more freely. I try to cut down my internet time :)

By the way, Regardie's book I am going to read is The Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic! Just to clarify this. I've read earlier his book The Golden Dawn.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Vanadís wrote:By the way, Regardie's book I am going to read is The Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic! Just to clarify this. I've read earlier his book The Golden Dawn.
I Think I have this same. It's about 800 pages and the title is "The Golden Dawn - A Complete Course in Practical Ceremonial Magic, Four Volumes in One".

If we go slow then I can participate.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Vanadís

Post by Vanadís »

Kenazis dear, your book is the "smaller" of these two, which I referred "The Golden Dawn". And I was about to read the different book, about 1200 pages. We have them both at home and they have partly same content :)
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Vanadís wrote:Kenazis dear, your book is the "smaller" of these two, which I referred "The Golden Dawn". And I was about to read the different book, about 1200 pages. We have them both at home and they have partly same content :)
I will find bigger book! Bigger than all your books put together. The Ultimate Golden Dawn - Pan-edition! Scroll version from Sweden to Australia.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

I'm glad to hear that this project is slowly but steadily growing towards fruition. Good luck, and not the least, virtue of patience in this...! GD really is a brick, even though a golden one.
Kenazis wrote:I will find bigger book! Bigger than all your books put together. The Ultimate Golden Dawn - Pan-edition! Scroll version from Sweden to Australia.

I just came to see this message of yours after downloading (legally) Pekka Ervast's book pdf that is four thousand, seven hundred and thirty-two pages long. (Here.)
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

I am also reading "The Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic" by Israel Regardie
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Abhavani

Post by Abhavani »

Great to see that others aren't as slumberous on this as I have seemingly been. I have now received one of Israel's books to study, which seems to be the smaller softcover version. Could someone please tell me if the contents differ too tremendously, as I am still in the assumption that these books are pretty much the same, but not quite. One is more expanded than the other. If needed, I will of course find me also the Ultimate Absolute Most Supreme Edition of the book.

I also have plenty of stuff to read right now, but I have put the Golden Dawn book into my backpack and have started carrying it around happily.
RPSTOVAL

Post by RPSTOVAL »

The Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic is so comprehensive it's too much for a casual reading :lol:

Such a good study resource though!! (and of course, historical too)
Chief adviser and magister templi at the Golden Apple Corps
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Curious if anyone ended up making it through The Golden Dawn? I've studied it for several years and still haven't broken through even a quarter of it. I own Self-Initiation into the Golden Dawn Tradition by Chic and Sandra Tabatha Cicero (understudies and from what I gather successors to Israel Regardie), and it's a great resource for those wanting to understand the Golden Dawn in depth. It's quite an act of discipline, though. Even the first several months before initiating oneself into the first level of Neophyte takes daily ritual work that's very time consuming. I ended up picking up other works by Regardie (Garden of Pomegranates, The Middle Pillar, The Tree of Life), and am slowly moving through them. For those wanting to just skim the surface of The Golden Dawn without dedicating too much time, I recommend The Essential Golden Dawn: An Introduction to High Magic by the aforementioned Ciceros. It's a great little easy read.
From personal experience I find that without immersing yourself into the magical process and inner workings, the material can be quite dry. Very rewarding in practice, though. At least for myself, personally.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
RasmusLilja

Post by RasmusLilja »

RPSTOVAL wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:00 am The Complete Golden Dawn System of Magic is so comprehensive it's too much for a casual reading :lol:

Such a good study resource though!! (and of course, historical too)
Sitä on tutkittava noin 10 vuotta. Kuten tavallisessa koulussa. Sitten ehkä voit tehdä jotain.