Pre-Islamic Deities

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.
Fomalhaut

Pre-Islamic Deities

Post by Fomalhaut »

We used to have religion course at primary, secondary and high school - as far as I remember once in a week. However, it was more or less about history of Abrahamic Religions and learning some prayers from Quran and their Turkish meanings. We were not told much about Christianity or Judaism (only basic things though) and main ephasis was on Islam. I remember that religion teachers told about those Pre-Islamic Deities during the lessons of the history of Islam and they were not talking very positively about them and Pre-Islamic Arabs who worship them (what a surprise). It just came to my mind today and wanted to share some information about them.

I will start with three desert goddesses which form a trinity and they are the daughters of pre-islamic Allah:

Al-lāt: "An ancient mother and fertility goddess of the pre-Islamic Arabs. Her name means "the Goddess". She represented the earth and its fruits."

"Especially in older sources, Allat is an alternative name of the Mesopotamian goddess of the underworld, now usually known as Ereshkigal. She was reportedly also venerated in Carthage under the name Allatu."

"The Greek historian Herodotus, writing in the 5th century BC, considered her the equivalent of Aphrodite:
The Assyrians call Aphrodite Mylitta, the Arabians Alilat, and the Persians Mitra. In addition that deity is associated with the Indian deity Mitra (Vedic). The persian and Indian deity were developed from the proto-indo-iranian deity known as mitra.
According to Herodotus, the ancient Arabians believed in only two gods:
They believe in no other gods except Dionysus and the Heavenly Aphrodite; and they say that they wear their hair as Dionysus does his, cutting it round the head and shaving the temples. They call Dionysus, Orotalt; and Aphrodite, Alilat."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Allat ... M_3369.jpg

Manāt: "The ancient Arabian goddess of fate and destiny, and the personification of the evening star. Manat ("fate") is one of the daughters of the pre-Islamic Allah along with Al-lāt and Al-‘Uzzá . Her cult was situated between Medina and Mecca, where she was worshipped in the form of a black stone. She is known from Nabatean inscriptions, and tombs were placed under Her protection, asking Her to curse violators. She is accordingly a Goddess of Death, and Maniya (Death personified) is mentioned in poetry as actively bringing a person to his or her grave, holding out the cup of death"

Al-‘Uzzá: "The youngest of the three daughters of the pre-Islamic Allah and the patron goddess of Mecca. She is identified with Venus as the morning star and her name means "the mighty one". She resides in a tree similar to the acacia."

"Al-‘Uzzá was also worshipped by the Nabataeans, who equated her with the Greek goddess Aphrodite Ourania (Roman Venus Caelestis). A stone cube at aṭ-Ṭā’if (near Mecca) was held sacred as part of her cult. She is mentioned in the Qur'an Sura 53:19 as being one of the goddesses that people worshiped.This goddess resembles Hindu Goddess Durga she abodes lion with swords ancient Hindus worshiped her as Goddes of war"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Al-Uzza.png

References: http://www.pantheon.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/
http://www.thaliatook.com/AMGG/arabtriple.html

Some further information and reading: http://nabataea.net/pgods.html
Ancient Forms of {Pre-Islamic} Pagan Worship: http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/pip.htm
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Mera

Re: Pre-Islamic Deities

Post by Mera »

How very interesting, I didn't actually know anything about Pre-Islamic deities.

"Al-Uzza" vibrates for me, I have had a vision once of a tree essence telling genghis Khan, if he went to war, he was to leave the Tree of life descendants out of his killings. Earth history has been quite a violent dealings.
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Mera wrote: "Al-Uzza" vibrates for me, I have had a vision once of a tree essence telling genghis Khan, if he went to war, he was to leave the Tree of life descendants out of his killings. Earth history has been quite a violent dealings.
If possible, could you please explain this a bit more?
— C.G. Jung
Mera

Post by Mera »

In Lebanese dialect "Uzza" means forbidden. Al is like a noun when you attach the word "the" to anything a name or title... so if I translate this in old Lebonese it means the forbidden. 'Ezza' means 'hurt-er'...it's like a making a reference in a sentence to someone who is a hurt-er. In arabic Jesus is Essa/Issa/Isa... in Finnish/Finland I am told Isa means Isaiah. is that correct?

Sorry I drifted off, I felt to tell you the above.
Fomalhaut wrote:If possible, could you please explain this a bit more?
I don't really know how to expand...the vision was very quick.

I didn't see a lot in my vision, the Tree essence I saw was blue and clear white transparent female essence... I do not feel she was agreeing to 'killings'... Essences or living spirits can't interfere with free will of the living people.

I was talking to a friend who started telling me about genghis Khan, after the conversation, I kept on repeating his name, then with a fast wind a vision came, I saw an essence from the Tree of life come out of the Tree and speak to khan, it seemed he was seeking blessings from a tree, so the essence told him if he was going to kill, he was to leave the descendants of the Tree of life out of his killings.

There has been many genocides through out Earth history, there has been repeated violence...because, no race has ever learnt to exist together in harmony, instead they all kill each other...or no one has really brought about true peace and harmony among all races..from different creed etc.. etc.. but all the violence is suppose to teach humanity what violence actually brings in the end which is...nothing but only more violence..Through duality peace can be achieved but it is difficult.

Sorry Fomalhaut I don't really know more than this about the vision..
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Mera wrote: Sorry Fomalhaut I don't really know more than this about the vision..
No problem at all! No need to apologise. Thanks for your explanation!
In Lebanese dialect "Uzza" means forbidden. Al is like a noun when you attach the word "the" to anything a name or title... so if I translate this in old Lebonese it means the forbidden. 'Ezza' means 'hurt-er'...
Can the reason to give such a meaning to erase the actual meaning of the name of the deity?
— C.G. Jung
Mera

Post by Mera »

Fomalhaut wrote:Can the reason to give such a meaning to erase the actual meaning of the name of the deity?

HI Fomalhaut, I don't understand your question, can you elaborate on it a bit more please.
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Mera wrote:
Fomalhaut wrote:Can the reason to give such a meaning to erase the actual meaning of the name of the deity?

HI Fomalhaut, I don't understand your question, can you elaborate on it a bit more please.
Sorry Mera, I was away for a few days, sorry for my late response. What I was trying to tell was that, El-Uzza was a deity in Pre-Islamic Arabia and you told in Lebanese dialect of Arabic, Uzza means forbidden. Can it be made on purpose that the Uzza means forbidden so the deity's actual name losts its real meaning and such deities are erased from people's minds that way,
— C.G. Jung
Mera

Post by Mera »

Fomalhaut wrote: Sorry Mera, I was away for a few days, sorry for my late response. What I was trying to tell was that, El-Uzza was a deity in Pre-Islamic Arabia and you told in Lebanese dialect of Arabic, Uzza means forbidden. Can it be made on purpose that the Uzza means forbidden so the deity's actual name losts its real meaning and such deities are erased from people's minds that way,

Hi Fomalhaut

No need for apologies, to answer your question I would say yes for sure. Although Arabs them selves may argue strongly that Arabic language has been the same since...the beginning. But being Lebanese I know that different dialects of Arabic words translate different definition. For example: north african to Saudi Arabian to Iranian to Iraq to syrian etc etc Arabic language all have different meaning to words spoken among the different Arabic language dialect. Not all words spoken in different dialect have the same meaning. Also in the word Uzza if I change the U to an A - Azza it would have a different meaning.

Azza is making a reference to a 'calling'. Or needed when speaking the word come/arrive. It's word based on a calling for aid to a losing situation.

El-Azza would mean 'the coming' or 'the arrival'. This word is used when referring to needed help or aid.

Azze -I need
Azze w'la means I need God.

It's quite interesting how one change of letters can change a whole meaning of a word.
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Mera wrote:Although Arabs them selves may argue strongly that Arabic language has been the same since...the beginning.
So, Arabs think that Arabic language has not changed since its beginning?
Mera wrote:But being Lebanese I know that different dialects of Arabic words translate different definition. For example: north african to Saudi Arabian to Iranian to Iraq to syrian etc etc Arabic language all have different meaning to words spoken among the different Arabic language dialect.
Isn't it very natural since the whole language's birth place is Arabian peninsula?
Mera wrote:Azza is making a reference to a 'calling'. Or needed when speaking the word come/arrive. It's word based on a calling for aid to a losing situation.

El-Azza would mean 'the coming' or 'the arrival'. This word is used when referring to needed help or aid.

Azze -I need
Azze w'la means I need God.

It's quite interesting how one change of letters can change a whole meaning of a word.
Indeed very new but useful information, thanks a lot!
— C.G. Jung
Mera

Post by Mera »

Fomalhaut wrote:Isn't it very natural since the whole language's birth place is Arabian peninsula?
It is indeed an interesting region and has attracted much battling throughout the ages. Lots of history attached to the region also.
Fomalhaut wrote:Indeed very new but useful information, thanks a lot!
:) you welcome, I find it quite fun at times to play around with the words.