Your religion of choice

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.

What religion would you choose?

Total votes: 0
Nefastos

Your religion of choice

Post by Nefastos »

I take that not many participants to this forum are actual members of (non-occult) religious groups. But if you were, what would be your religion, and why?

You can choose one to three options. Note that it is also possible to choose the atheist option and others, if you're just interested in some religions' ideas but couldn't vision yourself being an actual member of any religious group under any circumstances.

More about distinctions can be elaborated in the post. There is, of course, a great diversity inside the given options, too.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Wyrmfang

Re: Your religion of choice

Post by Wyrmfang »

I chose atheism, christianity and buddhism.

Atheism is the religion of today. Considered positively it is not just denying the teachings of all religions but also elevation of man´s intelligence, love and will. These are after all the ideals that every true religion sees practically as the most important. Like in case of all other religions, atheism becomes harmfull only when it becomes fanatical (does not accept any other views).

Christianity is my inherited religion, and after passing the rebellious phase in my teen age, it is natural to notice that I understand most well the symbolicism and spirit of christianity.

I don´t know that much about buddhism but if Schopenhauer´s philosophy is a kind of westernized version of buddhism, I think it is quite close to my views.
Lux

Post by Lux »

I chose Christianity, Buddhism and (neo-)Paganism - although I don't like the "neo" prefix at all. "The Past is Alive" and so on. I understand what is meant by it and the neo -prefix has a little bit a same kind of an aura than everything "new age" -related for good reason or not, but why should someone who is a pagan (or a heathen) at heart and has always been consider oneself "neo"-anything? (Christ was a Heathen, it has been said.)

I know that the super-structure, culture and some age-old values of paganism are gone and have changed alot - we really don't need animal, human and child sacrifices to Odin or any other gods anymore, for example - but the true spirit of the enlightened heathen sages and pagan teachers are as valid today as ever. The true question is between Tradition and non-Tradition - with which I mean the holistic worldview of "perennialism" - not between paganism or christianity (or any other traditional form), and there are also ways in which the pagan tradition can be envigorated, renewed and brought back in a more whole form. If I consider my "personal vehicle", I'm a heathen at the very deepest recesses of my heart; the forest and nature is my church, the snowflakes my christic monograms, the wintry lakes my temples etc., and this I see as an epitome of paganism per sae.

Teachings of the Buddha and other buddhist teachers are also very close to my heart, naturally. One could do with the simple wisdom of the Dhammapada a whole life and beyond, for example, without ever reading or studying anything else. ("Before enlightment, chop wood and carry water; after enlightment, chop wood and carry water.")

Hinduism also interests me alot, and its multifarious system of gods etc. is a real gift to mankind, but I do not know enough of or have a truly living relationship to the cultural context of it well enough to truly see it as my "religion" of choice.
Wyrmfang wrote:Atheism is the religion of today. Considered positively it is not just denying the teachings of all religions but also elevation of man´s intelligence, love and will. These are after all the ideals that every true religion sees practically as the most important. Like in case of all other religions, atheism becomes harmfull only when it becomes fanatical (does not accept any other views).
This is a good point. There are many atheists today - scientific or otherwise - who use the term only to deny the negative sides of religions and who have had enough of the pseudo-christian "we humans are nothing" attitude, but are in reality far more spiritual and open-minded towards new kind of approaches to religiosity and spiritualism than many "true believers" are.

Yet, I do know some "atheists" that are actually far worse in their attitude towards open-minded truth-seeking than any other people, and this kind of atheism is truly not only nothing but a shadow of fundamental religiosity, but a very nihilistic and close-minded attitude towards life, existence and meaning itself.
Wyrmfang wrote:Christianity is my inherited religion, and after passing the rebellious phase in my teen age, it is natural to notice that I understand most well the symbolicism and spirit of christianity.
If we are talking about "true christianity" - with which I mean the spirit of the teachings of Christ especially - instead of the fragmented and perverted image of "christianity", I can "annex my signature" to this one also very whole-heartedly.
Wyrmfang wrote:I don´t know that much about buddhism but if Schopenhauer´s philosophy is a kind of westernized version of buddhism, I think it is quite close to my views.
I think Schopenhauer understood alot about Buddhism, but was also wrong in many regards, seeing it as a nihilistic system of thought. There are of course many schools and lines of thought within Buddhism itself, the Mahayana vehicle and the Hinayana vehicle as two major examples, but personally I would not say that Schopenhauers western understanding of it could be said to be a part of the buddhist tradition itself.
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Honestly I am interested in all those religions' teachings (especially Judaism, Orthodox&Catholic Christianity, Paganism) but If I was born again, I would want to be what I am now again. I was born as a Muslim and I would not want to be born as a Muslim for sure ever again.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

After some thought, I chose Hinduism only. Although I am quite fascinated by some aspects of Roman Catholic faith (and, in a lesser degree, Greek Catholic), I think I could never actually participate. There's too much Satanist in me that I could force myself to any monotheism, even when as occultists we can see through the exoteric, symbolic language used & know what it's trying to say. This is a fact many times tried.

In Hinduism I feel no repulsion or urges to desecrate (to make whole!), because the whole is already accepted. As it is so often said, Hinduism is not so much a religion as a mind-set to different religions, and that is one important thing why I love it. There are other reasons as well. Like the Shaivite concept of Shiva and Shiva-Shakti-unity, which I see so clearly as Satan and Mother Goddess linking which is so important to me. To speak nothing of the deep treasury of magical tradition!

But it took some time to understand this, because the very fame of the Indian doctrines as some master key to spirituality sounded fake. After many years of studying European traditions and then turning to Hindu sources made clear, however, how much better the latter actually were - for me.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Lux

Post by Lux »

Nefastos wrote:But it took some time to understand this, because the very fame of the Indian doctrines as some master key to spirituality sounded fake. After many years of studying European traditions and then turning to Hindu sources made clear, however, how much better the latter actually were - for me.
I guess it is quite safe to say that the European Tradition(s) are applications of the wider Indo-European and / or Aryan Tradition in general. (Indo --> India --> Hindu --> origin in the Indus valley etc.)
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

That's one major source, if not the major source, yeah. But to point one source as a starting point doesn't say it would be the most perfect as well. I would easily envision an alternate possibility, where tradition(s) growing from some common root become more and more beautiful, more and more perfect.

I'm not suggesting that India is - or has ever been - a paradise for spirituality, but there really seems to be some real ground for the thought that it can be like a cornucopia for the Western spiritual revival.
Lux

Post by Lux »

Wyrmfang wrote:Atheism is the religion of today. Considered positively it is not just denying the teachings of all religions but also elevation of man´s intelligence, love and will. These are after all the ideals that every true religion sees practically as the most important. Like in case of all other religions, atheism becomes harmfull only when it becomes fanatical (does not accept any other views).
I was just being recommended the following book about atheism by Adlibris, and I thought to mention a few things about it:

http://www.adlibris.com/fi/product.aspx ... newrelease

First of all, what is "stealing from religions" if not their utter prostitution and destruction? Secondly, why "steal" from religions anything at all if the first and foremost task of them is to connect man to God ans sacred? Thirdly, if there's no supernatural at all and the things that religions can still give to humanity, do they not change into meaningless humanistic rabble if the transcendent is denied and lacking?

Because of this the last sentence of your quote, fra Wyrmfang, with all due respect, is either utterly false or it is a manifestation of ignorance about the historical occult roots of atheism that veils itself in the guise of "critical enquiry", "harmless rationalism" or some other extremely harmful method of destroying the relationship of Man and God, and thus poisoning both man and natural sense of sanctity (which is completely devoid of moralism). (I am not saying that fanaticism of any sort would be better, just exposing the "respectful" methods of denying divinity, meaning and spirit itself.)

Hear hear, and avoid like cancer, o' men and women of divine liking.
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

I would go with Hinduism and especially some form of Shaivism. Most of my life I've had the interest towards Hinduism (and Buddhism too). Even at the point when I was a lot younger and still brainwashed by exoteric christian ideals I already had growing interest towards oriental religions and philosophy but I couldn't really follow the inner voice of intuition then because I was too afraid of burning in hell for that. With Hinduism I love the freedom of individual possibilities to form your own relationship with the divine and the fact that everything and everyone of us is Shiva and Shakti as well as God and Satan as one. The idea of opposites being one with each other is so crucial that I don't see many other possibiliets for my self at the moment. I don't think I could ever choose christianity (or other monotheism) although I do see the value of esoteric christianity.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

If i had to adopt one religious practice, it would have to be a form of norhtern shamanism (Finnish, Siberian, Mongolian, Tibetan, etc.). I feel that a living religious practice needs to become part of the geography. I needs to be present in the very soil. It needs to be absolutely immanent.

The solitude of the vast northern landscape, where the presence of the sky is quite tangible & and the earth is firm, is for me the most accurate mirror of the Spirit.

So i voted for "other".
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.