The most important occult authorities for you

Convictions, morals, other societies and religions.

Who are the most important occult authorities for you?

Total votes: 0
Lux

The most important occult authorities for you

Post by Lux »

I'd like to open a discussion about whom do you consider to be the most important occult authorities for yourself particurarly; to whom or to what source(s) do you rely the most in your own life, work, practice, ritual etc.? And most importantly, why especially to this particular source and not some other?

Since I believe that many if not all rely to more than one source and author, in this subject we can also start to discuss about eclecticism in connection with satanism and the LHP. If you consider to be an eclectic, how and why do you combine different sources, traditions and authors in youtr daily life and practice? Or do you consider this kind of eclecticism to be a harmful method in itself, and do you instead rely on one source and context (at a time)?

In the poll I made it possible for everyone to choose three different options but if you'd like to choose more than that, let me know, or mention them in discussion.
obnoxion

Re: The most important occult authorities for you

Post by obnoxion »

Having answered this question once before, I've had the time to consider the matter more thoroughly. I'll begin by mentioning that i gave two votes: One for religious texts and their commentaries, and one for "other".

The last time I was asked this question, I voted for religious texts, and both the theosophist
and traditionalist schools. But although such figures as Blavatsky, Guenon and Coomaraswamy have influenced me a lot, the degree of their authority cannot be compared to the authority of the Holy Scriptures.

Only other influence as authorative as the religious texts of authentic traditions must come from the outside of the field of written word. This would mean the people and events I've come across, and both the direct and the indirect lessons of life.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Wyrmfang

Post by Wyrmfang »

The most important for me are theosophists, mainly Blavatsky. Blavatsky gave me the theoretical frame for occult world view. I also voted "other", by which I refer to Carlos Castaneda. Not that his teachings would be directly exemplary, but it happened to be Castaneda who was the most important writer for me in awaking the consciousness about what occultism means in practice.
Lux

Post by Lux »

obnoxion wrote:Having answered this question once before, I've had the time to consider the matter more thoroughly. I'll begin by mentioning that i gave two votes: One for religious texts and their commentaries, and one for "other".

The last time I was asked this question, I voted for religious texts, and both the theosophist
and traditionalist schools. But although such figures as Blavatsky, Guenon and Coomaraswamy have influenced me a lot, the degree of their authority cannot be compared to the authority of the Holy Scriptures.

Only other influence as authorative as the religious texts of authentic traditions must come from the outside of the field of written word. This would mean the people and events I've come across, and both the direct and the indirect lessons of life.
I feel actually a little bit disappointed for myself that I put the religious texts etc. options into this poll in the first place, since my motivation was to ask and discuss especially different human authorities and personalities in relation to others occult process and life; usually everyone has one over others, and also other important ones that have come by or "shown themselves" in the right moment in one's life.

This is not to say that religious texts of authentic traditions and the great revelations would and could not be the most important authorities and texts for one's self (besides life, nature and other people that are very important), quite the contrary!

Yet if I'd make the poll again, I'd leave them out of it completely. I hope and wish that people would recognise this wish when placing their votes. My bad!
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Lux wrote:Yet if I'd make the poll again, I'd leave them out of it completely. I hope and wish that people would recognise this wish when placing their votes. My bad!
In this case I would like to mention Eliphas Levi, Cornelius Agrippa and Iamblichus, who are huge influences for me. I must mention these three names, if we are talking about human personalitites who are authorites of occultism.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Nevertheless, I chose "Religious & spiritual texts in general" & meant the original sacred texts of all the religions. Of these I've personally found most useful Bhagavad-Gîtâ, Tao-Te-Ching, Dhammapada, and from the Bible Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) & the Book of Job. And, "Something other".

Of the occult authors, I've elsewhere pointed Blavatsky & Ervast to be the ones who gave me most, but I really can't follow the Blavatskyan concept by itself any more, so no vote here; just respect. Iamblichus & Agrippa, Eliphas Levi in a little lesser degree, are important for me, too. These are names who have proved their trustworthiness. I'd mention C. G. Jung & Plato also, if we can stretch the "occult teacher" title just a little.

But it is true that human authors can't really compete with Liber Mundi, which fra Obnoxion mentioned: what we see in our everyday life, what happens to and for us, is sui generis and in a way the only authority for him who follows the Left Hand Path. Even great men are just brothers, worthy of greatest respect but not of taking their ideas without profound thinking. It is quite usual that one has expressed some important thing very clearly and in something else, which is not in his or her dharma (spiritual duty), can't help us at all.

...And I think that is the one different thing in religious spiritualism and occult spiritualism, or Right Hand Path & Left Hand Path. For in religions & often in RHP, people are trying to attain the same level in which their authorities are; but in occultism & LHP especially they (we) know that in some ways we will be more advanced than those who have gone before us, and it's not only a matter of "standing on the shoulders of a giant" - but that every man & woman is a star, and hence all of us will be supreme by our own nature.

God forbid, I quoted Crowley in "occult authorities" topic! :mrgreen:
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Lux

Post by Lux »

Nefastos wrote:God forbid, I quoted Crowley in "occult authorities" topic! :mrgreen:
The (Un-)Holy Inquisition of The Star of Azazel together with the FBMI (Federal Bureau of Metaphysical Investigations) is already at your doorsteps because of this unforgivable crime. Ye shall be judged accordingly.
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

I just realized that I forgot to write which ones I chose: Kenneth Grant, Other LHP sources (especially Temple of the Black Light and Dragon Rouge) and Religious & spiritual texts in general.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Eradicatus

Post by Eradicatus »

Even though Crowley's works along with the Teachings of the Golden Dawn was the start for me when I got in to the works of the Occult I chose other left Hand path Sources along with Micheal W. Ford and Other. On the Other Left Hand Path Sources the Occult Authorities that I feel that are a significant influence upon me will be the Current 218/182 (Temple of the Black Light and Temple of Qayin) The Order of Nine Angles, and the Dragon Rouge. Along with The Order of Phosphorus which is ran by Micheal W. Ford. On Other I will say I favor EA Koetting and Diane Vera. Out of all of whom I have listed I see the Current 218/182 and the Dragon Rouge along with Micheal W. Ford as a Important Occult authority for me because of practices that Involve the Qliphoth.
Build not upon sand, but upon rock And build not for today or yesterday but for all time.
- Codex Saerus, The Black Book of Satan - Anton Long.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I must say: If i would be allowed to choose eightyfour most important occult authorities, i would choose the mahasiddhas, who are an absolutelly tremendous influence.