The Antichrist, New Era, Satanism and the Religion of Humanity

Rational discussions on metaphysical and abstract topics.
Angolmois

The Antichrist, New Era, Satanism and the Religion of Humanity

Post by Angolmois »

What do the terms laid out in the headline mean to you, and what kind of manifestations they have, will have, and what kind of things you would like to see them represent in the future?

In the SoA texts written by Nefastos there are many references to these terms and things as some sort of "prophecies" about the coming era, where for example traditional religions dissolve and the Path will be more oriented towards the individualistic LHP. What are your thoughts on these matters?

Is childish New Age occultism like a baby in the bath water that needs to be washed, a kind of prologue to the so called religion of humanity? What kind of manifestations you believe and would like to see the religion of humanity taking in the future?

Will the spiritual Antichrist - or better yet, The anti-Christ - be in your own view a synthesizer who will unite humanity's spiritual aspirations under one flag?

I challenge everyone to a visionary journey into the future and discuss the upcoming age, its religion, civilization and form. What will it take with it from the past, and what will be completely new?
Angolmois

Re: The Antichrist, New Era, Satanism and the Religion of Humanity

Post by Angolmois »

Rúnatýr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:49 pmWill the spiritual Antichrist - or better yet, The anti-Christ - be in your own view a synthesizer who will unite humanity's spiritual aspirations under one flag?
And just to add, when I say the anti-Christ, I don't personally specifically refer to any person, a secular-temporal-religious messiah figure, but more into the impulse of the upcoming era with its own spiritual influence.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

One obvious sign of the "religion of humanity" in terms of influences and sources is of course the internet, and especially spiritually and esoterically speaking that all the sacred scriptures etc. are possible for literally almost anyone to study. For me personally the internet "as the sign of the religion of humanity" means also in one aspect that it provides with its music services all the possible cultural and spiritual material that I wish to access from my home; the shadow of this is all the filth and low-brow material that the web contains. This kind of cultural change is irreversible and in that sense we freely or forcibly live in a multicultural system, where global cultural influences and view-points are literally everywhere and in everyone's reach.
Last edited by Angolmois on Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

These are all both interesting and important things to consider for an occultist living in our times. Not so much for the others. The very name Antichrist is so loaded that it needs some heavy context not to become an object of problematic ideological wrestle. The last thing we need is fanatics from any a path getting too easy answers to fuel biased emotion.

Against this background, here are some brief thoughts of mine, in the present context, to the following question:

Rúnatýr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:49 pmWhat do the terms laid out in the headline mean to you
The Antichrist, New Era

Like Rúnatýr said, I have been discussing this subject in some of my writings, like Fosforos & The Gospel of Saturn. All my own religion comes back to archetypes, and how archetypes are acted out into the world by people, using in the best possible way the situations in each given time. For me, time is like an abstract matrix of collective mind, and not a trivial thing.

I see in the shift from Pisces to Aquarius an astrological & astronomical fact. Personally I attach to these aeons minds & importance: the "days of creation" are the Sephiras, the Aeons, the actual spiritual spheres, once again the primary archetypes. "When the stars are right" the actual spiritual settings change. For me, the most important timescale of the work is the so called Great Year (lasting over 25,000 years) and its twelfths, each being a bit over 2000 years. Once every 2100 years or so, the humankind thus has its "New Era", which means that the spiritual setting changes a little: possibilities, and challenges, are shifted from one archetype to the other. This shifting is brought about my a messenger who is, most importantly, a spirit; and secondarily, something more humane.

Satanism and the Religion of Humanity

I take it that you meant these to be taken together? The question is extremely deep & wide, almost as wide as the whole brotherhood's credo. The union of Satanism and the Religion of Humanity is seen, most easily, in the Seven Principles of the Star of Azazel.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:28 pm The very name Antichrist is so loaded that it needs some heavy context not to become an object of problematic ideological wrestle. The last thing we need is fanatics from any a path getting too easy answers to fuel biased emotion.
Yes, I understand well what you mean. What I've understood, there is a claring lack of consensus (much like Atlantis) Among different school of thought of what the name signifies in general. There are some narrative thought, which are roughly:

Guenon: Satan as the "ape of God", an impostor false messiah
Bailey: Destructive forces (of what nature not specified)
Charles Upton: The System of the Antichrist thought, meaning roughly post-modernism and New age
Theosophy in general: Christ, when referring to the coming age, seems to be both a person and a spiritual influence that can be said to be an "anti-Christ" in the eyes of orthodox religions
Pekka Ervast: "a greatly Civilized man man but an enormous materialist" by his own words
Islam: Imam Mahdi
Buddhism: Maitreya
Hinduism: kalki-avatara
Christianity: The False Messiah preceding the Second Coming, usually seen as a world temporal leader claiming to be God

What do you think of the different narratives in their own context and in their relaation to each other?
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

According to our dharma of purifying connection, we are able to take a positive stance towards most of these ideas.
Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amGuenon: Satan as the "ape of God", an impostor false messiah

In case this attitude is chosen, see my last point – the answer to Christianity –, for this interpretation is taken directly from the Church fathers.

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amBailey: Destructive forces (of what nature not specified)

Discussed in Fosforos in depth. Destruction is also a good thing, and thus the concept of Antichrist remains ambiguous. Bailey used the words "evil", "shadow" and "destruction" often in a very weird way, and it seems that her deep-rooted cultural bias made her very hard to understand the teaching given through her, and in some key concepts a careful student may notice outward distortion.

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amCharles Upton: The System of the Antichrist thought, meaning roughly post-modernism and New age

I guess one could say so, but this seems to lead straight to (or from?) immense dualism, which easily becomes dangerous war-mongering in the present situation.

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amTheosophy in general: Christ, when referring to the coming age, seems to be both a person and a spiritual influence that can be said to be an "anti-Christ" in the eyes of orthodox religions

Is this the theosophical view in general? Very good if it is; it is at least my personal view.

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amPekka Ervast: "a greatly Civilized man man but an enormous materialist" by his own words

That very citation is dealt in The Gospel of Saturn.

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amIslam: Imam Mahdi

Since the religious views are symbolistic and ambiguous in themselves, it is hard to approach them adequately here. But I am sceptical whether Buddhists, Hindus or Moslims themselves would agree to the term of Antichrist for these religious saviours of theirs. In case they would, we might also add the Jewish Messiah to the list – and that instantly blows the mind, since here (in the context of Jewish >< Christian soteriology) we see that one's Christ is another's Antichrist.

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amChristianity: The False Messiah preceding the Second Coming, usually seen as a world temporal leader claiming to be God

I quote my just recently written Bible commentary to the 2 Thessalonicans, the part which is said to depict the Antichrist:

"3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God."

It is extremely interesting to notice tha the whole of this Paul's characterization fits perfectly into his own teaching about Jesus. In the other words, here we can see the exact moment when the teaching is turned upside down, and the Adversary (Hebr. Ha-Shatan, Satan) becomes Christ and (Paul's pseudo-) Christ becomes the actual adversary.

Paul has earlier shown, how "law" has changed not only to something unnecessary but actually harmful (Galatians 3:10-13), the opposite of Christ's message; thus Jesus and Paul are "the sons of perdition" ["lawlessness"]. In the same way these "exalt themselves above all that is called God", for the whole sanctity of old Jewish faith has been reversed (the reason why Jesus was killed as a blasphemist). Jesus also called himself god (Matthew 26:63-65, John 10:30), and compared his body to the temple (John 2:19-21). Christ and Antichrist are not only capable of being merged into one, but actually are the one and the same; for every new era's Christ is the Antichrist from the viewpoint of the old.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

I haven't had any final conclusions as I have not studied this topic enough eventhough idea of Revelation or Qiyamah (Resurrection) is very dear in the symbolical way - when the dead are resurrected again. Yet I believe that these eras or cycles are perpetual, and constant inside human soul and not necessarily shown in worldly affairs as it's said that God returns like thief in the night - most won't notice anything.
"On the morning of the resurrection when I raise my head from the dust, I will rise speaking of you, I will be seeking you."
( If I recall it right it's from poetry of Molana Rumi)

Also some interpretations are not really aligned.. Was it in Jewish predictions that Messiah and Elijah would come on Earth? In Islamic Tradition Prophet Isa (Jesus) and Hidden Imam who is known as Mahdi (one who guides). If trying to see any associations or connections could Elijah and Mahdi seen as same? Although it's said that he is already here but in occultation he has made him disappear.
This appearing and disappearing is very prevalent topic in poetry and it's played with love or/and mystical poetry.
Attar of Neishapur:
"As soon as you appeared, I disappeared
For when it comes to Beloved, Being hidden is more pleasant"

Nefastos wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:14 am According to our dharma of purifying connection, we are able to take a positive stance towards most of these ideas.
Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amGuenon: Satan as the "ape of God", an impostor false messiah

In case this attitude is chosen, see my last point – the answer to Christianity –, for this interpretation is taken directly from the Church fathers.

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amBailey: Destructive forces (of what nature not specified)

Discussed in Fosforos in depth. Destruction is also a good thing, and thus the concept of Antichrist remains ambiguous. Bailey used the words "evil", "shadow" and "destruction" often in a very weird way, and it seems that her deep-rooted cultural bias made her very hard to understand the teaching given through her, and in some key concepts a careful student may notice outward distortion.

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amCharles Upton: The System of the Antichrist thought, meaning roughly post-modernism and New age

I guess one could say so, but this seems to lead straight to (or from?) immense dualism, which easily becomes dangerous war-mongering in the present situation.

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amTheosophy in general: Christ, when referring to the coming age, seems to be both a person and a spiritual influence that can be said to be an "anti-Christ" in the eyes of orthodox religions

Is this the theosophical view in general? Very good if it is; it is at least my personal view.

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amPekka Ervast: "a greatly Civilized man man but an enormous materialist" by his own words

That very citation is dealt in The Gospel of Saturn.

Nefastos wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:14 am

Since the religious views are symbolistic and ambiguous in themselves, it is hard to approach them adequately here. But I am sceptical whether Buddhists, Hidus or Moslims themselves would agree to the term of Antichrist for these religious saviours of theirs. In case they would, we might also add the Jewish Messiah to the list – and that instantly blows the mind, since here (in the context of Jewish >< Christian soteriology) we see that one's Christ is another's Antichrist.

As I wrote on top if I am correct they are always seen as pair in Judaism and Islam, but in Christianity you'd have pair of people dressed in sack clothes. I am not sure if anything from Abrahamic religions are anyway connected to each other or merely re-interpretation or dialogue between each other?

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 amChristianity: The False Messiah preceding the Second Coming, usually seen as a world temporal leader claiming to be God

I quote my just recently written Bible commentary to the 2 Thessalonicans, the part which is said to depict the Antichrist:

"3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God."

It is extremely interesting to notice tha the whole of this Paul's characterization fits perfectly into his own teaching about Jesus. In the other words, here we can see the exact moment when the teaching is turned upside down, and the Adversary (Hebr. Ha-Shatan, Satan) becomes Christ and (Paul's pseudo-) Christ becomes the actual adversary.

Paul has earlier shown, how "law" has changed not only to something unnecessary but actually harmful (Galatians 3:10-13), the opposite of Christ's message; thus Jesus and Paul are "the sons of perdition" ["lawlessness"]. In the same way these "exalt themselves above all that is called God", for the whole sanctity of old Jewish faith has been reversed (the reason why Jesus was killed as a blasphemist). Jesus also called himself god (Matthew 26:63-65, John 10:30), and compared his body to the temple (John 2:19-21). Christ and Antichrist are not only capable of being merged into one, but actually are the one and the same; for every new era's Christ is the Antichrist from the viewpoint of the old.
From Christian perspective I think Isa is more of Antichrist as he is descripted to destroy cross and kill a pig. People have interpreted that it means that he shows that Christians have not followed the morale teachings of Jesus well enough.
Then we have White horse with rider which has been interpreted in Evangelical charismatic views as Antichrist but I have read that many beg to differ on that perspective, but I don't really know.

As a conclusion I think Apocalypse is about turning everything upside down, what looks like blasphemy could be seen as something else.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:28 pm
Satanism and the Religion of Humanity

I take it that you meant these to be taken together? The question is extremely deep & wide, almost as wide as the whole brotherhood's credo. The union of Satanism and the Religion of Humanity is seen, most easily, in the Seven Principles of the Star of Azazel.
Especially I meant that what is their relation to each other, and also that are they in reality the same thing under different titles. I see similarities and even an inner core that is the same universal substance and essence in both terms.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Yes, well, you can find an article called "The Intellectual MIlitancy in the Latter Days" ffrom Upton also. The title of his book is "The System of the Antichrist", in which he dwells on the similarities and differences between traditional religions, post-modernism and the new age. The sub-title is exactly Truth and Falsehood in Post-Modernism and the New Age. Having read the book some years ago I'm not sure what to think of it; it has brilliant insight and then very personal biases, and in the end one cannot be sure whether Upton leans more towards Islam or Christianity in his personal view.

Not usually stated explicitly, but the descriptions of Christ and the upcoming age can easily said to be "anti-Christian" in many regards if one considers only orthodox denominations - heretical at the least.

Since the religious views are symbolistic and ambiguous in themselves, it is hard to approach them adequately here. But I am sceptical whether Buddhists, Hidus or Moslims themselves would agree to the term of Antichrist for these religious saviours of theirs. In case they would, we might also add the Jewish Messiah to the list – and that instantly blows the mind, since here (in the context of Jewish >< Christian soteriology) we see that one's Christ is another's Antichrist.
Yes, that is very true. I have seen - depending on the source - all these described as both the Christ and the Antichrist, and I guess here we return also to the question that the Christ of another era is the Antichrist of the preceding one. I am also quite certain that the multitudes wouldn't recognize these saviours were they suddenly appear in the world stage, but would "choose Barabbas" more easily, since I think their revelation and message would be in many ways heretical and weird for those who cling on to the age old customs and habits. If working in public and not occultly, hey would most likely appear as "dangerous radicals" for the surrounding religious and cultural powers of their time.

The way I tend to think is that the word has its exact spiritual meaning and manifestations that are spiritually progressive and uplifting, and then there is the material-temporal shadow of the same principle that can act as the vehicle of "destructive forces". We come to the essence of Satan of course, with his bright and luminous essence and the material shadow.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:17 pmEspecially I meant that what is their relation to each other, and also that are they in reality the same thing under different titles. I see similarities and even an inner core that is the same universal substance and essence in both terms.

From a certain viewpoint they belong to the same axis, and thus may be taken as one. But this really needs that particular point of view. From the others, I take them to be different enough, especially since I am very theistic a Satanist, and humanism is by definition anthropocentric. The concept of Luciferian Ego can be or become a uniting bridge, but there is still a chasm present under that bridge.

Some Satanists imagine Satan to be (or be connected primarily to) the this-side mundane Ego, but as you know, I strongly disagree. On the other hand, the modern humanism is often almost openly hostile towards spiritualism, especially altruistic spiritualism (as opposed to the New Age idea of taking whatever beckons our personal tastes).

One of Ervast's best books, Ihmisyyden uskonto ("Religion of Humanity"), deals with the other side of this question. In it he suggests that the Gospel of Matthew should be the real gospel for the new age, making the religion more humane. This is a healthy, Left-handed step towards the best forms of Satanism, but it is still far from actual Satanism per se.