The Magnetic Pull

Rational discussions on metaphysical and abstract topics.
Angolmois

The Magnetic Pull

Post by Angolmois »

In the course of Eihwaz rune I've been lead to think the "magnetic pull" of different elements and especially earth. It seems the more higher one's aspirations reach, the more strong the downward pull of the earth element and its correspondences also become. With this downward pull I don't mean the so called downward path. What I mean is that the farther of the branches of the tree of life one's idealism reaches, the more one is led to the depths and roots of one's being and the world. The more strong one's commitment is, the more stronger the (apparently) opposing things awaken in you causing challenges of ascension.

Have you experienced this phenomenon in some way (I believe every aspirant has), and what thoughts it has woken in you?
Nefastos

Re: The Magnetic Pull

Post by Nefastos »

I think that you are talking about the aspect of the work I call tantric. The common problem with spiritualism – especially in the West, which has made its religion ultra dualistic – is the usual mistake to think that if one puts enough effort on the upward striving, he will fly to heavens by leaving behind the outer world & its mundane worries. But it turns out that what changes this way is only one's mind, and the transcendence is not escapism nor transsubstantialism (where the lower somehow ceasing to be while the higher grow strongs), but rather expansion of the view. The focus on life gets more concentratred & thus the spiritual part gets more deep, but the lower does not cease to be. Jesus did not just cry, but urinated too.

When the branches grow, the roots also dig deeper, and every being that grows in strength in a healthy way does it by also making its opposite aspect greater. (I.e. the spiritual power strengthens the material forces within.) The other path is the path of vampirism, where the one-sided development is brought about by the torment of its opposite. That is worst kind of black magic regardless of which the developing aspect is the spirit or the body, for it results in the tumultuous disharmony of the whole system, and "one cannot torture himself without torturing the others".
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Seems about right, thank you for your answer!

I also meant that when the spiritual values start to take precedence and become the highest values, all earthly things and values start their (apparent) opposition.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Rúnatýr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:10 pm The more strong one's commitment is, the more stronger the (apparently) opposing things awaken in you causing challenges of ascension.

Have you experienced this phenomenon in some way (I believe every aspirant has), and what thoughts it has woken in you?
I have experienced this in the terms of my physical health. The more I progress spiritually, the more challenges seem to arise in my physical body. Sometimes I struggle with suicidal thoughts and feelings because the spiritual realm feels much less cumbersome, but I see this as a great task that must be worked through. It's an exercise that strengthens my inner fortitude, and challenges me to face those thoughts which then only serves to strengthen me on my journey.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran