Theistic Satanism/ the act of worship

Rational discussions on metaphysical and abstract topics.
Aperiemus

Re: Theistic Satanism/ the act of worship

Post by Aperiemus »

Ave wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:06 pm It will be the silence,
where I am?

I don’t know, I’ll never know:
in the silence you don’t know.

You must go on.

I can’t go on.

I’ll go on.
What a deeply moving quotation! Now I have to read the whole thing :)

I started thinking about the temptation of christ during the 40 days of fasting in the desert, and the words Satan that "All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me." (Matthew 4:9-10, also Luke 4:7-8). Apparently the koinee greek word for worship proskynéō (to kiss the hand towards one, in token of reverence) could be derived from prós (towards) and kýōn (a dog). This would mean that the words of Satan could convey something in the lines of "if you kiss me like a dog would lick his master's hand, all this will be yours", which for me feels profoundly visceral.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Aperiemus wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:42 amApparently the koinee greek word for worship proskynéō (to kiss the hand towards one, in token of reverence) could be derived from prós (towards) and kýōn (a dog).

It is very fitting that the one and only time (as far as I can remember) where Jesus taught something about dogs was in the following part of the Sermon on the Mount:

Matthew 7:6 wrote:Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

In my Sermon on the Mount commentary I interpreted that Jesus likens dogs to the followers of the Right Hand Path (unbalanced), and the swine to the followers of the Left Hand Path (unbalanced).

Dogs are extremely lovable creatures, but because of their origin as man-created, they tend to take their masters as gods. This is what a man should not do, teaches Jesus. Holiness and holy people/beings are not something whose "hand we should lick like a dog".

It is also clear that some Left Hand Path followers (and atheists) are not able or willing to distinguish between these two different forms of worship: the one that makes oneself as an animal, and the other that makes the worshipper stretch to the full height of a divine being, by assuming humility that there are beings in this universe that are essentially greater than he is.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

The "pearls before swine" -allegory has been on my mind lately, so I welcome this conversation...
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.