Spiritual taboos

Rational discussions on metaphysical and abstract topics.
Heith

Spiritual taboos

Post by Heith »

I was certain we had a topic about this, but couldn't find one, so I started this.

This pondering began yesterday as I was making some abstract sketches in my mind about the next Unseen Fire issue. One thing lead to another, and I began to think how many different traditions are represented in SoA- I mean how many different mythologies and religions are receiving attention and research from our members. It struck me that we do not currently have -at least not that I am aware of- anyone who would be studying Sufism, but we have people who study Gnosticism and Kabbalic traditions on a very deep level. This lack can't be readily even explained by our backgrounds, as it is very often the case that one studies a tradition that is very far away from their own culture, or even completely perished. True, we do not have extensive voodooists -that I am aware of at least- either, but I began thinking and would like to ponder if certain traditions have become, or might be coming somewhat taboos even if we do not mean them to be that way.

We do have people from countries & cultures (I will refrain from naming countries or members of the fraternity as this is their private affair) where islam is a major religion, but I of course understand that this doesn't necessarily mean that one should dive into Sufism. I am from a lazily Lutheran country, and have little to no interest in Christian mysticism. As to Sufism, I'm a complete ignoramus and the most I know of that is the work of some poets.

This was a sort of simple thought only, but perhaps you have comments, dear brethren & our esteemed guests. I'd like to add that I mean no disrespect towards anyone's spiritual or religious search.
obnoxion

Re: Spiritual taboos

Post by obnoxion »

The situation might somewhat reflect the availability of information. Esoterism and especially Satanism in Finland, for example, have been heavily influenced by Blavatskyan Theosophy and Grimoires attributed to Moses, because these sources have been available in Finnish since the 1800's.

When it comes to Greek, Roman, Jewish and Gnostic ideas, these have been readily available from many sources (religion, psychology, astronology). Islamic influences have been immense in Europe, but mostly unaknowledged (though this has begun to change in the 20th Century).

Then there are examples like Vodou, that are both distant and essentially oral and practical by nature.

Also, though there is a major and most applaudable trend of striving for harmony between faiths (I would heartily recommend, for example, "Common Ground Between Islam and Buddhism" available online), these often make a point of distancing themselves from syncretism. So it is not likely that those initiated to well established Traditions would find the novelty, openess and relative obscurity of SOA appealing or even approvable.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

obnoxion wrote:So it is not likely that those initiated to well established Traditions would find the novelty, openess and relative obscurity of SOA appealing or even approvable.

That is most likely true in many cases, but in some cases I would see that the common ethics - what we actually want to bring about & how - might be same to such a degree that the common ground could be realized.

As an example from the past, the original Blavatskyan theosophy was so backed up by Tibetan Buddhism, that Dalai Lama wrote the foreword to the Voice of Silence's later edition. And if one studies the original theosophy's correspondences (e.g. the "Mahatma letters") it becomes clear that the aims of the Blavatskyan theosophy were the Buddhist aims. And, to a bit lesser scale, also those of the (Advaita Vedantic) Hinduism.

I think we have a lesson here, how all these three formed a quite well-working machine in those days, without a need to any of them to seek dogmatical or even pragmatic purity of doctrines. All of them worked towards the same goals of universal brotherhood, compassion, & so on.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I agree!

I have also seen it happen again and again how people having very different and dogmatic religious or secular principles can show amazing flexibility, incredible hospitality and uncanny understanding when interacting on a personal level in a mutually comfortable situation. This atmosphere is something I hope we manage to cultivate on our forums, as well as in our personal lives.

When it comes to actually spiritual taboos, I suppose that it would be difficult to find a common ground with some exclusive forms of sectarianism, of which we have many examples among the many forms of the broad phenomenon of protestant christianity.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nokkonen

Post by Nokkonen »

Interesting question Heith! I agree with Obnoxion that initiates from Traditions wouldn't be attracted to SOA and on the other hand, requirements on the dogmatic purity might deter esoteric seekers from them. I was, at some point of my life, attracted to Catholic Mysticism and read a good bunch on the subject but I could never have converted to Catholicism because it wouldn't have been honest. And without converting -- heart and soul -- the practical applications of that mysticism remain beyond my reach. It would be like practicing Buddhism without ever meditating. I don't think that Christianity or Islam would be a taboo, though. Right? They are just out of reach for many in their insistence that this book or that book contains the whole of Truth.