Acausality?

Rational discussions on metaphysical and abstract topics.
Wyrmfang

Acausality?

Post by Wyrmfang »

This term "acausal" seems to pop up very often in theistic Satanists´ texts, but its meaning has remained quite mysterious to me. "Acausal power" seems an oxymoron to me. By definition, causality is a relation between two states where the first state brings forth the second. If for example a ritual can invoke "acausal" powers, make something concrete happen that wouldn´t otherwise happen, isn´t this precisely a causal affection? Or is the point that something happens entirely without an antecedent state in the empirical world? If so, this seems strange, because wouldn´t one such event bring to whole causal order down?

The only sense I can see in the term "acausal" is the Kantian idea of noumenal world, for example the inner moral law appearing directly to the consciousness without the media empirical senses. But this is obviously very different from the ideas presented for example by ONA or the Temple of the Black Light. Can someone enlighten me in this respect or is there some essential work to be read? All I have found so far have been only about ritual formulas etc. without a proper philosophical grounding.
Nefastos

Re: Acausality?

Post by Nefastos »

I've often seen that term used in a most confused manner, e.g. meaning just something that can't be explained by the laws of physics as they are commonly understood today.

In my opinion the correct use for the term is to mean paratemporal causation. If there are planes wherein existence is not bound by time but by different formula of events, its intervention to our temporal world is "acausal" from our standpoint.

Recently I noticed that one Christopher Holmes has written a book about the Blavatskyan/Hindu concept of laya-state, which is the "acausal" point of events, able to bring forth forms/activity from seeming void. It's called "God, Science & the Secret Doctrine: The Zero Point Metaphysics & Holographic Space of H. P. Blavatsky", but I haven't read it yet. Should be worth at least a peek.

I used to think that there is no true freedom of will, because everything is bound to different kinds of gross or subtle temporal causation. Later I did change my views, & nowadays believe that there are archetypical (spiritual) planes which can act upon our temporal world in a way that creates like shortcuts of stimuli. It has to do with the Hermetic axiom of an inferior existingin & as the likeness of the superior, & vice versa. One can tap into something beyond time, because at the end the time & space are just illusions: God-monad within is actually omnipotent, although reaching that core of absolute power is extremely demanding. That omnipotent true will is what I think the Hindu philosophers ultimately meant by atman.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

I don't think I've ever read anything by anyone associated with the ONA, but I've read a few things be people associated with the Temple of the Black Light i.e. N.A-A.218 and Vexior. I agree with you that the majority if what I've read seems to be ritual formulas and recipes rather than any philosophical explanation. There are some limited explanations interspersed between said formulas, recipes and mythological investigations, such as the following quote from Vexior's PanParadox:
I ask again, what is all? It cannot be something created by universe, because universe is not absolute; it has restrictions, for example it is limited to one time dimension and three spatial dimensions, it is also causal, meaning bound by the dependency between the cause and the effect. Those examples are signs of weakness compared to the anti-cosmic acausal and pan-dimensional Chaos theories. All can only be something made of acausality, the absolute; as in the primordial Chaos – the pan-dimensional, the active and dynamic endlessness beyond all forms.
I actually have pdf copies of N.A-A.281's Liber Falxifer I and II books as well as Vexior's PanParadox, although they are quite large (over 100mb) in size. I could email them to you if you want, although I wouldn't describe any of them as essential.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Jiva wrote: I agree with you that the majority if what I've read seems to be ritual formulas and recipes rather than any philosophical explanation.
I have read three books from N.A-A.218 and I have to say that I agree with both of you concerning this subject.

However, from my own personal point, I have realised one thing: there has been many terms left unexplained in all those books and I came across those terms afterwards in another books. However, I am not able to explain the term acausality in my own words but I find Fra Nefastos' answer very relevant at this point.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung
Fomalhaut

Post by Fomalhaut »

Concerning Acasuality I would like to make the following quote from Liber Falxifer II and my humble and short commentary on it:
In the beginning there was Ain and within its Fullness of Emptiness the Divine Acasuality was All and Nothing, Unbound and Unbinding. The Zeroth divine essence encompassed itself within an unlimited Point of Unity, where all aspects of its Bornless and Deathless Non-Being and Being coexisted simultaneously, without any spatial or temporal restoration placed upon its Lawless Becoming. Within this Holy Chaos of the Pleroma of Unknowable Divinity All Was One and One Was All, In Nothingness.

Within this state of Nihility and All-Potentiality the seeds of all manifestations and possibilities coexisted. Because of the all-encompassing and unrestricted Fullness of the Divinity within Ain, it come so to pass that a fraction of the whole became separated from the unity which in order to know itself fell outside of the Mindless Spirit and Divinity Within Ain.

As this fraction sought to confine and know itself, it caused a division between its originally Paradoxical and Unbound facets and duality manifested within it in this state formed as the Ain Sof. Within this eternally conflicted manifestation one portion of it wanted to permanently separate itself from the Fullness of Emptiness, within which it had been Unlimited, but thus also unable to know any distinguished aspect of itself, while the other aspect instinctively sought to return to the Acasual state of its Primal Chaos, where Nothing and All was One and no division could limit its Eternal and Unrestricted Becoming.
Taken from Liber Falxifer II, The Book of Anamlaqayin, p. 17

In here, what I understand with Acasual state and Acasuality is the state of being non-existent within our understanding of this existence. Acasuality is like a passive power of non-existence. It is the state of absolute Unity with the Divinity.
"I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become."
— C.G. Jung