Suicide

Rational discussions on metaphysical and abstract topics.
Polyhymnia
Soror

Re: Suicide

Postby Polyhymnia » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:13 pm

obnoxion wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:27 pm
Umbra wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:15 am
You are way more likely to injure yourself horribly and be stuck in an even worse situation than to succeed in ending the suffering.
This is extremely good point. Many people don't realize just how often and how severely this is the outcome of attempted suicide, and that even the most violent means will not guarantee death.

Though it must be possible to find the meaning to one's life that one couldn't find before becoming permanently disabled because of suicide attempt. But it will likely be a difficult road.

However, it is good to read of experiences where attempted suicide has become a blessing in life.
When my dear friend committed suicide in 2017 he didn't pass over for a week. That week was brutal, and filled with everyone praying that he would pull through. But being with him every day, seeing the vegetative state he was in, I couldn't help but think what an awful quality of life he would have had if they had succeeded in keeping him alive. Suicide is such a hard topic because there isn't much in the way of comfort for those left behind, and honouring the choice of the person in question is a very hard pill to swallow. Both my husband and I are suicide survivors. I have some mild damage to my liver that occasionally comes up in imaging tests to serve as a reminder, nothing major, but my husband's arms are just covered with scars from very deep cuts, reminding him every day. Weird little blessings because life seldom feels that dark these days, but we'll never forget.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
obnoxion
Sodalis

Re: Suicide

Postby obnoxion » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:02 am

Polyhymnia wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:13 pm
obnoxion wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:27 pm
Umbra wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:15 am
You are way more likely to injure yourself horribly and be stuck in an even worse situation than to succeed in ending the suffering.
This is extremely good point. Many people don't realize just how often and how severely this is the outcome of attempted suicide, and that even the most violent means will not guarantee death.

Though it must be possible to find the meaning to one's life that one couldn't find before becoming permanently disabled because of suicide attempt. But it will likely be a difficult road.

However, it is good to read of experiences where attempted suicide has become a blessing in life.
When my dear friend committed suicide in 2017 he didn't pass over for a week. That week was brutal, and filled with everyone praying that he would pull through. But being with him every day, seeing the vegetative state he was in, I couldn't help but think what an awful quality of life he would have had if they had succeeded in keeping him alive. Suicide is such a hard topic because there isn't much in the way of comfort for those left behind, and honouring the choice of the person in question is a very hard pill to swallow. Both my husband and I are suicide survivors. I have some mild damage to my liver that occasionally comes up in imaging tests to serve as a reminder, nothing major, but my husband's arms are just covered with scars from very deep cuts, reminding him every day. Weird little blessings because life seldom feels that dark these days, but we'll never forget.
It seems it can become a source of strength by time to be subtly marked by suicide. Then there are the grave reminders, like my ex-teacher's brother, who tried to shoot himslef into the mouth. It is surprisingly easy to miss the brain that way, and he had half of his face completely disfigured, and he wore an eye patch. I always thought it must have hurt like hell to shoot oneself in the face through the mouth.

But at least he had most of his functions intact. The sadder stories are those where people get paralyzed from the neck down or becone mentally retarded due to lack of oxidence. And these are terribly common outcomes, though these people tend to go ubder the radar, living in nursing homes and other such restricted surroundings their remaining lives. And, I must add, they may very well have a room mate there whose mistake was to ride a bicycle without a helmet on...
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.