Aspects in the Star of Azazel

Rational discussions on metaphysical and abstract topics.
Nefastos

Aspects in the Star of Azazel

Post by Nefastos »

It has been pointed out (by fra Aquila elsewhere) that there are many references made to different aspects in the Star of Azazel, but almost no information available in English what they really mean. So I'll try & give a short description for these aspects, & then questions/thoughts concerning them are welcome. In Finnish, much of the topic is covered in Polkujen kirja (The Book of Paths).

Three "esoteric" aspects are Black, Red and White. They correspond to Satanic planetary lords, thus:

Black - Saturn - Satan
Red - Mars - Azazel
White - Venus - Lucifer

They also have their correspondences in gunas, thus:

Black - tamas - feminine, passive
Red - rajas - masculine, active
White - sattva - hermaphroditic, both passive & active

And so on. With these three so-called esoteric aspects the brotherhood also has its Grey aspect, which is the aspect of the Moon, used by exoteric members. This fourth aspect, however, is going to be opened to form three more aspects - corresponding to the original three - when the time is right.

Lodges, or organized geographical centers, are a matter of another topic. A lodge has an aspectal emphasis, although it can have members which are of the different aspect. All members of the brotherhood must belong to one of the aspects, but a member can choose whether (s)he wants to belong any of the lodges.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Nefastos

Re: Aspects in the Star of Azazel

Post by Nefastos »

This fourth aspect, however, is going to be opened to form three more aspects - corresponding to the original three - when the time is right.

The three exoteric aspects, as well as the original ones, have now been given their presentations in our website's articles. Here's some info in a nutshell:

The Aspect of Stone
or the Formal (i.e. outer) White Aspect
Focuses in: Devotional, ceremonial magic
Theosophical principle: linga sharîra (physical energy-body)
Guiding brother: Fra Nox

The Aspect of Serpent
or the Formal (i.e. outer) Red Aspect
Focuses in: Art & religion
Theosophical principle: kâma rûpa (emotions)
Guiding brother: Fra Aquila

The Aspect of Eye
or the Formal (i.e. outer) Black Aspect
Focuses in: Analytico-philosophical study & the problem of evil
Theosophical principle: kâma manas (rational mind)
Guiding brother: Fra Wyrmfang
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Sebomai

Post by Sebomai »

I have a question. I don't know if I will try to join the brotherhood. I've ordered Fra. Nefastos's books that are available to me in English but they have not arrived yet, so I have not read them. I do deeply love what I've read on this forum and in the rest of the website, so I have a sense that I may someday wish to attempt to join, I feel a pull, an attraction. Obviously, it will be up to the discretion of current Star of Azazel members if I apply whether I shall be accepted.

But my question is this: When a person is accepted, just on the exoteric level, is there any kind of way to get assistance being guided to one or another of the aspects? I've read about all of the aspects, exoteric as well as esoteric, and I must say I have a connection to both Serpent and Eye/Red and Black. So, if I were to write to see about joining, and were accepted, would someone be available to individuals like myself to kind of help guide them to where their time and energies will be best spent? Or, conversely, is there an opportunity to change aspects if you join one exoteric aspect and feel that it may not be right for you but that the Star of Azazel brotherhood in general is?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this. :)
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Alocer wrote:So, if I were to write to see about joining, and were accepted, would someone be available to individuals like myself to kind of help guide them to where their time and energies will be best spent?
You can certainly get help and guidance. One can be a member in the SOA and just "support the cause" and not do any specific work. But if a member wishes to be active, he or she can get help and guidance.
Alocer wrote:Is there an opportunity to change aspects if you join one exoteric aspect and feel that it may not be right for you but that the Star of Azazel brotherhood in general is?
Yes. Many of our members have changed aspects. There is also movement from the Exoteric Circle to the Esoteric and vice-versa. For example, one of our former guides of an esoteric aspect changed his status to our outmost gray aspect, and one of the reasons was that he wanted to focus on his musical career more whole-heartedly. So any of these things don't need to be forever, but they can be. And movement within the formal structures of The Brotherhood can lead into any direction.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Sebomai

Post by Sebomai »

Thank you. As times goes on and I read more and learn more and anticipate the arrival of Fra. Nefastos's books more and more and MORE ( :P ) I find myself thinking about applying for membership that much more as well. And getting help figuring out which way would be best for me is very important. I appreciate your response.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Those of my books that are now available in English (Fosforos, The Catechism of Lucifer) are not so much about the Star of Azazel than they are about occultism & Satanism in general. Of course, the reader will get to know what are the basic philosophical points behind SoA from Fosforos.

Right now I'm finishing the book of rules & instructions for the brotherhood, and it will be availabe not only for members but readable in our website. In that way people won't have to come in blind, but they'll already know in what way the things are managed. Finishing & translation of that book is now priority number one, and it should be availabe in near future.
LunaticSun

Post by LunaticSun »

I might have a foolish question, but what does exoteric and esoteric stand for? and what is the purpose of such distinction?
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

A good synchro LunaticSun, I have just been painting a piece with a sun and moon in it.
LunaticSun wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:38 pm I might have a foolish question, but what does exoteric and esoteric stand for? and what is the purpose of such distinction?
Shortly, esoteric is the internal kernel while exoteric is the outer shell. As an example, one can think for example a monk who has withdrawn from the world and a regular churchgoer who lives in the world. Esoteric knowledge is knowledge of the universal essence (i.e. mysticism and initiatic knowledge) behind the exoteric particularistic form (i.e. theology and orthodox doctrine).
LunaticSun

Post by LunaticSun »

thank you!
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

In the Star of Azazel aspects, the words are used in a slightly different meaning:

Exoteric aspects are the aspects that work with formal focus. They put their primary attention in means.
Esoteric aspects are the aspects that work with formless focus. They put their primary attention in essence.

This is not an easy concept to absorb fully. For the Azazelian viewpoint, a monk might be more likely an exotericist, since he bases his spiritual practice in some absolute forms, while a true spiritual aspirant (adept-in-the-making) of the colour aspects is more likely to be found from the midst of the laymen, since he wants to help his fellow people with all the means possible, not just praying for their souls inside the protective monastery walls.